+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AHHHH!!! Weird spacing issues, etc

Active Member WorldBuilder is on a distinguished road

AHHHH!!! Weird spacing issues, etc

Hi all, I've built a page at www.bartlett-family.net/chris (yeah, that's me, let's keep the laughter to a minimum ).

That page is 100% perfect as far as I'm concerned. I created this design, then copied and pasted that template to the pages of all my other family members: nancy, sokhan, john, pat.

I think you can figure out there URL's...

Anyway, on ALL of these pages, you'll notice that a random quote is generated. The quote changes every time the browser is refreshed.

On all the pages EXCEPT "chris", the site will shift slightly based on the size of length of the quote. What I mean is, if a quote comes up that is short (only taking one line), almost the entire contents of the site (other than the left-sided links, etc) shifts to the right. Then if you refresh the page until a longer quote comes up, the page will then go back to normal. This does NOT happen on the "chris" page.

In addition, on all the pages EXCEPT "chris", there is a sizeable gap in the footer area between the image and the text next to it. There should be no gap. In other words, it should look ilke it does on the "chris" page.

These problems only occur in IE6 and Gecko browsers (not Opera). In addition, they only occur on larger monitors at higher resolutions, ie the problems do NOT show up on smaller, lower resolution monitors.

Does anyone know why this is happening? The pages are virtually identical (as you will see). I thought that it might have to do with the fact that ONLY one "chris" is there an additional drop-down menu link (The "Blackjack Anyone" link). I know that's not the problem, because on one of the other pages, I left it in for a while, and it still had trouble. I then removed it. Other than having all different images, the sites are IDENTICAL. I have gone through the HTML and CSS code until I can't stand it anymore, and I see no differences. Can anyone help out, please?

Thanks!

Chris
    My Site | My Blog
    "The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results"
    --Albert Einstein

Full Member Interactive is on a distinguished road
    I know what you mean, I have the same problems with the footer on http://www.HostComb.com/. I've yet to find any solution to this and found the problem in both Firebird and IE6.

What's really eating at me is that they are ALL THE SAME! The template I created for my site (/chris) was copied over to the other directories. The only difference are the images used! It's ticking me off!

Chris
    My Site | My Blog
    "The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results"
    --Albert Einstein

Full Member Interactive is on a distinguished road
    Originally posted by WorldBuilder
    What's really eating at me is that they are ALL THE SAME! The template I created for my site (/chris) was copied over to the other directories. The only difference are the images used! It's ticking me off!

Chris
    Join the club, what's weird though is the fact it happens in multiple browsers.
    -Robert Norton
    http://www.HostComb.com - Find The Hosting Provider That Meets Your Needs

The strange thing is that there's gotta be something I'm missing. Some little additional code, something in the css, HTML, or JS. I don't know. I swear, I've gone through all the files line by line and I just don't see what's wrong...

Chris
    My Site | My Blog
    --Albert Einstein

Moderator airnine is on a distinguished road
    Well guys,

I've had the same experience for many times.

I had, what was basically the same shell, in one instance it worked and in another not

So, for the first time, I was busting my bees trying to get that spoiled code to work, but found nothing. I checked the code for many times and compared it to the code that was working, still nothing.

In the end I had to rewrite that code and it worked fine. Now, had I have done it immediately, I would have saved my-self some serious time.

Now, I know that I have to look for a mistake, but not for too long. I rather go and just rewrite the code. It's a time saver.

Good luck

Airnine
    -------------------------------
    Airnine is a developer @
    www.promomedium.com
    -------------------------------

Full Member whiteknight is on a distinguished road
    i checked out each of the other pages, and my browser (IE6.0) doesnt show any resizing at all, for multiple refreshes.

the only suggestion I might make is that you double check that in all your various external javascript files, that you dont have multiple variables with the same name.

Whiteknight, It does do it in IE and Gecko browsers, BUT only on larger monitors and/or displays at HIGH resolutions. I've noticed that most monitors at 1024x768 or less don't have the problem. Since the majority of computer users fall into that catergory, though, I don't think the problem is very widespread. I'm not worrying about it unless someone starts complaining (and on a family site where probably 1 person a year visits, I don't think I have anything to worry about)!

Chris
    My Site | My Blog
    --Albert Einstein

Full Member whiteknight is on a distinguished road
    yeah, i'm running a 1024x768 screen, so i guess i wouldnt have the problem then.

Ok guys,

We've got a lot of new members and a lot of new posts. Let's see if someone could PLEASE tell me what the hell is wrong here?!

Read the whole thread, it has all the info you need. WHY (on higher res and larger screens) do the other pages move?!

If I never figure it out, it won't be the end of life as I know it, but it sure is annoying...

Chris
    My Site | My Blog
    --Albert Einstein

Full Member Marshall is on a distinguished road
    have u tried setting the table on the right side to an absolute amount of width in pixels instead of 100%? See if that will stop it from resizing to meet the amount of text.
    Last edited by Marshall; May 12th, 2004 at 05:43 PM.

Full Member Marshall is on a distinguished road
    Ok also move the two images that make the green line over to the other table and align them to right side, thats what I think may be the problem because they are in the same table as the quote so when that table shrinks with the quote, it pulls the image with it. Or as another option u can use css to position it absolutely and make it so it wont move at all.

I'm going to take a look at what you suggest. Eventually, I'll redo ALL those pages in CSS. The rest of my family site is all CSS driven, but the family member pages are the oldest, and I still have them almost exclusively in tables. *sigh*

Lemme check on what you're saying, and I'll get back to you.

Chris
    My Site | My Blog
    --Albert Einstein

Full Member HellFear is on a distinguished road
    You can always use the div positioning code to position the image where you want it.

Active Member the illest is on a distinguished road
    Well, if it just happens on larger resolutions don't stress it too terribly much. I mean, how many people use anything about 1024x768 and expect all the pages to look perfect? I for one expect things to be a little small, a lot of open space, and am lenient with other small errors. By the way, I view on 1600x1200.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information