+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help compiling swf file?! Huh?!

Active Member WorldBuilder is on a distinguished road

Help compiling swf file?! Huh?!

Hi all,

Ok, let start off by saying that I have NEVER used Flash and know NOTHING about it.

I downloaded a "premade" script written in php and flash that creates an online poll. I thought it would be neat to add to my website. In the HTML file, the embedded src file is "poll.swf". When I downloaded this script, I downloaded it in .zip format. From that, there is NO poll.swf file, but there IS a file called "poll.fla". From some quick research, I found out that I have to compile this poll.fla file to create the poll.swf file. Apparently, this will all work then.

I have no idea what they are talking about! Is this, in fact what I need to do? How do I compile this poll.fla file? Do I need Flash?

Sorry if this all sounds stupid to those who know Flash. Please understand that I know nothing about it.

Chris
    My Site | My Blog
    "The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results"
    --Albert Einstein

I have been informed that this .fla file needs to be opened IN Flash and then "published" as an .swf. If this is the case, I have a favor to ask.

I don't own Flash, so could someone who DOES have Flash go here, download the .fla file, publish it, then re-host the .swf version? I'd appreciate it! Thanks!

Chris
    My Site | My Blog
    "The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results"
    --Albert Einstein

Moderator airnine is on a distinguished road
    Hi,

I have made you a .swf file, it's in a .zip, I hope it works, because I was reported an error in the process

Good luck

Airnine
    -------------------------------
    Airnine is a developer @
    www.promomedium.com

Thanks airnine. I haven't yet gotten this to work, however... I did try your swf and unfortunately it doesn't work at all. Probably that error you mentioned. I tried to open the fla file in an OLD (version 4) copy of Flash I had, but that wouldn't even open. I then downloaded the trial version (all 76MB!) of the latest Flash MX. I published it just fine! My first use of Flash ever.

I'm now just having some php/mysql trouble with this script. Ugh... I think the Flash part is fine.

I downloaded the script from here in case you're interested. Now I just have to figure out the php/mysql problems!

Chris
    My Site | My Blog
    --Albert Einstein

Moderator airnine is on a distinguished road
    I'm glad you succeeded in compiling the swf. I was reported to have some variables incorrectly declared.

Good luck with your php scripts. I would have looked at it, but I'm kind of busy right now.

If you have any particular part you are not happy about it, you might posted here and I'll check it.

Airnine
    Airnine is a developer @
    www.promomedium.com

Thanks for the best wishes, airnine.

YVZ has been trying to help with the php and MySQL. So has Matt. So far, we're stumped! If you want to join the hoopla, here's the thread.

Chris
    My Site | My Blog
    --Albert Einstein

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information