+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What is Python best for?

Moderator airnine is on a distinguished road

Question What is Python best for?

Hi guys,

I have a short question here. What is Python best for?

Airnine
    -------------------------------
    Airnine is a developer @
    www.promomedium.com

Full Member Syn is on a distinguished road
    From my experience, Python is mostly for programming that has to do with large databases, and the like. I remember one of my friends telling me that when the government starts instating the new extended of social security numbers, many companies will need Python programmers to upgrade their systems.

It's only something I heard, so I could be far from right.
    Personal
    -- Avalonstar: The Moon of Syn

Professional
    Avalonstar-Intivex, [Coming Soon] | Starvex

I ought to say you have a great site.

Nevertheless, there's this one thing you wrote that struck me, it's about cheating, I disagree with you, I have never cheated in my entire life, not in school not elsewhere. Even more, I can't agree outright answers cheat people out of learning experience. Furthermore, rare is an opportunity where you hear / read people giving outright answers. Most of the time people beat around the bush and so does the bush. They will say a bunch of things completely trivial to what you need to know and in my book of life, outright answers come as very positive

If you play art and wrap stuff up and expect people to do some digging before they see the essence, that's fine with me, but it's just play, no school, no teaching, no philosophy, nothing but plain play

Airnine
    Airnine is a developer @
    www.promomedium.com

Full Member Syn is on a distinguished road
    Well I'm glad to see that you have a valid arguement. I write this from experience, from emails and IMs expecting me to tell them an answer outright. I mean, where's the learning in that? My way to tell people about my techniques and things of that sort is to be more of a mentor than just an encyclopedia.

I agree that the statement is pretty broad, but written for a minute percentage of what it can cover. There is the other side, like what I call the "politician effect" where people love to fillabuster everything they explain, and you just wish they would stop.

But with design, to me at least, people should be able to know the technique and learn how to make it their own from the person who did it first, rather than just read and do, like an instruction booklet.

I do agree with you on your points, and thanks for having that view.
    Personal
    -- Avalonstar: The Moon of Syn

Professional
    Avalonstar-Intivex, [Coming Soon] | Starvex

Hm, perhaps we sort of misunderstood one another or at least I misunderstood you in the beginning. If you are talking about giving outright answers in connection to your work, when someone asks you how you did this and that or wants you to explain your techniques, it is normal you don't act as a lexicon. For that matter, most of the things you say is giving out the trade secrets and for majority of it, able people have all the means to find the answers on their own. The thing is, people are lazy, so they'd rather ask for an outright answer than look in a book. In a book they would have to flip through pages. Silly, but true. It's pretty much the same thing with tutorials one gets with designing software. Most of the people don't even start them once.

Airnine
    Airnine is a developer @
    www.promomedium.com

Newbie BryanBates is on a distinguished road
    Maybe I'm not following this thread correctly... Y'all seem to jump from "What is Python good for?" to why not to cheat, to how to answer questions. Somebody post to the wrong thread / edit their post after the fact?

As for me, I use Python to put together quick scripts ("oh, I need a table of contents generated in HTML from these folders of PDF's...") and also with wxPython as a GUI prototyping language (similar to VB.Net, but cross-platform).

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information