+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stupid Table Won't Stretch!

Full Member Interactive is on a distinguished road

Stupid Table Won't Stretch!

Well this is rather irratating.

First check out:
    http://proj41.iwguys.com/register.php

You see how the registration form is going down the page but the white background behind it isn't. The items on the left column (IE the quick login form) are positioned absolute with CSS, but the content (the registration form) is just 'plain'. Now the table is set to be 100% and so is the TD. Any idea what's going on? Is my code to horrible to figure it out?
    -Robert Norton
    http://www.HostComb.com - Find The Hosting Provider That Meets Your Needs

Bah, just figured out that the table is positioned absolute (that the registration form is in). Any idea how to make the white background still stretch though?

Since it's not against the rules, yet, bump.

Any ideas people?

Active Member WorldBuilder is on a distinguished road
    Hey Interactive,

Sorry, I've been working with ZYV on a php problem. Didn't notice this until today. I'll try have a look sometime this weekend and I'll let you know what I think asap.

Chris
    My Site | My Blog
    "The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results"
    --Albert Einstein

Hi again. I took a look. First of all, your code is not too horrible to figure out. Very crisp, very clean! Nice job with that.

Secondly, when I look, the white background IS going all the way to the bottom, as you say you want. Right? IN IE6, I don't see the problem. Do you mean you want the white background to also stretch off to the right, too?

You do have a bigger problem, though, I think. I have a funny feeling you haven't tested this site in anything other than IE. Have you tried it in Mozilla or Opera yet? You should. I did. Gecko browsers (ie, Netscape, Mozilla, Firebird) are far LESS forgiving than IE when it comes to code and will show you where faults in your HTML are. I've attached two screenshots from Firebird and Opera. As you can see, they are NOT even close to what you obviously have in mind. Fixing all this will take a massive rewrite, though. I'll be happy to help you with that, but it will probably take a while.

In the meantime, the white background looks fine to me in IE 6. Perhaps you just need to clear your browser cache, cookies, temp internet files, etc and try again?

Let me know

Chris
    My Site | My Blog
    "The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results"
    --Albert Einstein

Opera Screenshot
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My Site | My Blog
    --Albert Einstein

Firebird Screenshot
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My Site | My Blog
    --Albert Einstein

Full Member Syn is on a distinguished road
    Ooooo, talk about ownage.
    Good job with the screenies Chris, I hope that'll help.
    Personal
    -- Avalonstar: The Moon of Syn

Professional
    Avalonstar-Intivex, [Coming Soon] | Starvex

Originally posted by Syn
    Ooooo, talk about ownage.
    I have to ask... What does that mean?!

Chris
    My Site | My Blog
    --Albert Einstein

Originally posted by WorldBuilder
    Hi again. I took a look. First of all, your code is not too horrible to figure out. Very crisp, very clean! Nice job with that.

Secondly, when I look, the white background IS going all the way to the bottom, as you say you want. Right? IN IE6, I don't see the problem. Do you mean you want the white background to also stretch off to the right, too?

You do have a bigger problem, though, I think. I have a funny feeling you haven't tested this site in anything other than IE. Have you tried it in Mozilla or Opera yet? You should. I did. Gecko browsers (ie, Netscape, Mozilla, Firebird) are far LESS forgiving than IE when it comes to code and will show you where faults in your HTML are. I've attached two screenshots from Firebird and Opera. As you can see, they are NOT even close to what you obviously have in mind. Fixing all this will take a massive rewrite, though. I'll be happy to help you with that, but it will probably take a while.

In the meantime, the white background looks fine to me in IE 6. Perhaps you just need to clear your browser cache, cookies, temp internet files, etc and try again?

Let me know

Chris
    Well you're at a big screen resolution. Resize IE to something like 800x600 or even 1024x768 and you'll see what I mean. The white background is supposed to stretch all the way down the screen.

The site is still in the very beginings of development stages so I haven't had a chance to take a test run through any other browsers at this time, but I do appreciate the screenies.

Thanks a ton for your help.
    -Robert Norton

I have to ask... What does that mean?!

Chris
    It means you slammed me to an extent .
    -Robert Norton

Well you're at a big screen resolution. Resize IE to something like 800x600 or even 1024x768 and you'll see what I mean.
    I'll check that out, but all sites should be made so as to look the same at most resolutions.
    The site is still in the very beginings of development stages so I haven't had a chance to take a test run through any other browsers at this time, but I do appreciate the screenies.
    No sweat. The main reason why IE looks right (sorta) and Opera & Mo don't is your use of deprecated tags. IE is far more forgiving with this, but you should definitely eliminate them all. Then, your problems will either disappear or be heavily minimized. If you would rather start with just the white background, though, we can do that. I'll take a look.
    It means you slammed me to an extent .
    SORRY! Didn't mean to do that, friend.

Chris
    My Site | My Blog
    --Albert Einstein

I'll check that out, but all sites should be made so as to look the same at most resolutions.
    Right, but you'll see what I mean.

No sweat. The main reason why IE looks right (sorta) and Opera & Mo don't is your use of deprecated tags. IE is far more forgiving with this, but you should definitely eliminate them all.
    What do you mean by deprecated tags? As in outdated? Tables?

Then, your problems will either disappear or be heavily minimized. If you would rather start with just the white background, though, we can do that. I'll take a look.
    SORRY! Didn't mean to do that, friend.

Chris
    Hey no problem at all. Thanks for your help.
    -Robert Norton

Originally posted by Interactive
    What do you mean by deprecated tags? As in outdated? Tables?
    NO! Sorry... Tables aren't deprecated. Probably won't ever be. The main trouble is in height, width, background, font, etc tags and options you have. Those are all gone, and they can cause problems in Opera and Gecko browsers (as the screenshots show).

You'd have MUCH better luck using a CSS layout on this site. Absolutely position all those images wherever they need to go using css. Control fonts via CSS. Use div's everywhere and control them in CSS.

Check out www.positioniseverything.net and especially look at "floating".

HTH,

Chris
    My Site | My Blog
    --Albert Einstein

NO! Sorry... Tables aren't deprecated. Probably won't ever be. The main trouble is in height, width, background, font, etc tags and options you have. Those are all gone, and they can cause problems in Opera and Gecko browsers (as the screenshots show).

You'd have MUCH better luck using a CSS layout on this site. Absolutely position all those images wherever they need to go using css. Control fonts via CSS. Use div's everywhere and control them in CSS.

Check out www.positioniseverything.net and especially look at "floating".

HTH,

Chris
    Helps a ton, thanks. Updating all of my tags at the moment.
    -Robert Norton

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information