Closed Thread

Thread: Review my family site, please!

Active Member WorldBuilder is on a distinguished road

Review my family site, please!

Hi guys,

I have built (still building, nowhere near done) a site for my family. Probably not that interesting to you (after all, it is just a family site), but I'd like ya'll to take a look. Lemme know what you like, what you don't like, what you'd add or remove, etc...

I'd appreciate it.

Site is here.

Chris

PS. Oh, and while you're there, please read the info on the "Help us fight!" link. That's the most important thing on the site to me.
    My Site | My Blog
    "The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results"
    --Albert Einstein

Full Member Interactive is on a distinguished road
    Well it's very informative. It's a family site as you said so it's not like you need any eye candy (although at times it might help).

Awesome slide show by the way...

Thanks Interactive. I know it's probably going to be dull for most people visiting. I would really appreciate a FULL review of the site. Many links are dead, but there is still a fair amount of content there even now. The poll, the quiz, the blackjack game, petition, etc...

Thanks for the words about the slideshow... But if you think that's something, just wait until I get off my ass to finish the REAL one! It's all about the US, baby! Gonna be SICK!

Any further reviews on everything, from code to displays, to any problems, likes or dislikes are welcome. I have a thick skin.

Chris
    My Site | My Blog
    "The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results"
    --Albert Einstein

Originally posted by WorldBuilder
    Thanks Interactive. I know it's probably going to be dull for most people visiting. I would really appreciate a FULL review of the site. Many links are dead, but there is still a fair amount of content there even now. The poll, the quiz, the blackjack game, petition, etc...

Thanks for the words about the slideshow... But if you think that's something, just wait until I get off my ass to finish the REAL one! It's all about the US, baby! Gonna be SICK!

Any further reviews on everything, from code to displays, to any problems, likes or dislikes are welcome. I have a thick skin.

Chris

Okay, a full review since you asked for it and have thick skin:
    On the main page I'm not really digging the center text. Why not just use a table and format it to the left. Know what I'm saying? Like what you did on http://www.bartlett-family.net/contact/

Convert the all of your BMP's to a compressed format such as GIF or JPEG.

On your contact page the links are messed up. Take a look (http://www.bartlett-family.net/contact/) and click on the links on the left column and you'll see what I mean. They link to like site/contact/link instead of site/link

Also try making the border around the white nav columns smaller. It's a bit overwelming as it stands IMHO.

Well okay so maybe that wasn't a thorough review but just some suggestions.

Edit: Just noticed you have a PR of 5. Congrats
    Last edited by Interactive; January 31st, 2004 at 11:37 PM.
    -Robert Norton
    http://www.HostComb.com - Find The Hosting Provider That Meets Your Needs

On the main page I'm not really digging the center text. Why not just use a table and format it to the left. Know what I'm saying? Like what you did on http://www.bartlett-family.net/contact/
    Hmmmmm... Actually, I think I like it better centered. I'll leave it like that. On the other pages like /contact and /bartlett_technology, I agree that it's better on the left.
    Convert the all of your BMP's to a compressed format such as GIF or JPEG.
    Done, good idea. Took a while, but is saving some K. Thanks
    On your contact page the links are messed up.
    Fixed. There are still problems like that on all the "family members" pages, though. I'll get to all that asap.
    Also try making the border around the white nav columns smaller. It's a bit overwelming as it stands IMHO.
    You mean the floated boxes on all the main pages? Make it a little thinner you think?
    Well okay so maybe that wasn't a thorough review but just some suggestions.
    Cool, thanks! I'm open to many more suggestions, comments, and opinions! Keep 'em coming!
    Edit: Just noticed you have a PR of 5. Congrats
    PR of 5? What's that mean?

Chris
    My Site | My Blog
    --Albert Einstein

Hmmmmm... Actually, I think I like it better centered. I'll leave it like that. On the other pages like /contact and /bartlett_technology, I agree that it's better on the left.
    Done, good idea. Took a while, but is saving some K. Thanks
    Fixed. There are still problems like that on all the "family members" pages, though. I'll get to all that asap.
    You mean the floated boxes on all the main pages? Make it a little thinner you think?
    Cool, thanks! I'm open to many more suggestions, comments, and opinions! Keep 'em coming!
    PR of 5? What's that mean?

Chris
    PR = Google Page Rank.

5 is pretty darn good. I don't think this forum is even 2 or 3.

By thinning the border I did mean by thinning the nav (floating menus or whatever) border.
    -Robert Norton

PR, thanks for the info, IA. I had no idea. I guess Google likes me.

Try www.bartlett-family.net now. The box on the left has been made with a slightly thinner border. The one on the right has been changed to a different style. Which box looks better, "Family" or "Links"? I like 'em both. You decide, man.

Any other suggestions? How do you like the "people" pages layout? It's all done with tables, not CSS but it works well, I think.

Chris
    My Site | My Blog
    --Albert Einstein

PR, thanks for the info, IA. I had no idea. I guess Google likes me.

Try www.bartlett-family.net now. The box on the left has been made with a slightly thinner border. The one on the right has been changed to a different style. Which box looks better, "Family" or "Links"? I like 'em both. You decide, man.

Any other suggestions? How do you like the "people" pages layout? It's all done with tables, not CSS but it works well, I think.

Chris
    The family box looks better IMHO.

I like your people pages alot, but I think you should make the site uniform all the way accross the board, ya know?
    -Robert Norton

Originally posted by Interactive
    The family box looks better IMHO.
    Yep, done. All changed. I do think I like that better as well.
    Originally posted by Interactive
    I like your people pages alot, but I think you should make the site uniform all the way accross the board, ya know?
    Well, I do agree with that to an extent. Basically, I did follow that rule, but instead of only using 1 site design, I used 2. All the family member pages are identical, but all the the other pages use a different template. They, however, are all the same. I wanted just a little mix & match. The only page on the entire site that's different is the USA page. That's a whole different animal, and it doesn't go with anything else, but I like it.

Anything else?

Chris
    My Site | My Blog
    --Albert Einstein

Full Member Matrix28 is on a distinguished road
    Good but I think you could do with a little more content.

Originally posted by Matrix28
    Good but I think you could do with a little more content.
    More content coming, but I have to ask. Since it's a family site, what other content could there be? I already have info, games, DS stuff, etc. Any suggestions?

Chris
    My Site | My Blog
    --Albert Einstein

Full Member HellFear is on a distinguished road
    Nice job with the website. You don't need alot of content, because it is a family website.. If you think you need more, just get a suggestion from your family members.

I am bringing in more soon. There will be "Ma's Diner" full of recipes, and lots of DIY-type tutorials on everything you can imagine.

Chris
    My Site | My Blog
    --Albert Einstein

Closed Thread

Thread Information