+ Reply to Thread

Thread: html family tree?

Active Member WorldBuilder is on a distinguished road

html family tree?

Hi guys,

I was thinking of making a family tree and putting it on the web. I'm sort of wondering how to go about making it, though.

We all know what family tree's look like. The family member names are on bordered boxes, with lines connecting them. That simple.

The boxes are easy: bordered tables or dordered div's. No sweat. What I'm wondering about, though, are the connecting lines. How would I do those? Horizontal lines are no sweat, I can just text out some dashes. ---------

What about vertical lines, though? I'm thinking about using the "pipe" keyboard key "|". That seems like a lot of hassle. Perhaps I could make a thin image (jpeg or gif) that is nothing more than a vertical line.

What do you guys think? Any suggestions on exactly how I should do it?

Chris
    My Site | My Blog
    "The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results"
    --Albert Einstein

Full Member mttatkns is on a distinguished road
    An example of an existing product that you can look at to get yourself started can be found at http://www.tufat.com/tufat.php

Hmmmm... That looks neat, and it is only $5, but on the other hand, my family is so ridiculously SMALL that paying even $.05 would be kind of absurd. I think I'd like to do it myself.

Maybe I'll just learn a little more and write a php script myself? That would be a good exercise.

Chris
    My Site | My Blog
    "The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results"
    --Albert Einstein

Full Member Axi is on a distinguished road
    Check this site out: DynamicDrive.com, I'm sure you'll find a lot of other things that'll you'll want to learn from that site.

Yeah, www.dynamicdrive.com is a neat site, but it's mostly javascript and I don't want to use that. I was basically trying to figure out a good way to make a classic-looking tree from straight XHTML.

Nothing more than boxes with names in them (that's easy), and lines (vertical, horizontal, and possibly slanted) to connect them all. That was it.

Chris
    My Site | My Blog
    --Albert Einstein

Full Member wicked_gal00 is on a distinguished road
    You might find some interesting stuff at dynamic drive. But if you do it in HTML the alignment might be off for different resolutions or browser veresions. I think you should use jpegs for the lines.

Originally posted by wicked_gal00
    I think you should use jpegs for the lines.
    That's what I was thinking I'd have to do. Images with CSS layout.

Chris
    My Site | My Blog
    --Albert Einstein

Full Member Axi is on a distinguished road
    You'll never find out unless you try.

Full Member Greg is on a distinguished road
    Using images looks like the best idea. Wicked, the alignment won't be off if you use Position: relative left Xpx; where X is the amount of pixels from the left.

Full Member wicked_gal00 is on a distinguished road
    Let us know how it turns out!

Active Member Fabolous05 is on a distinguished road
    there also is a lot of software you can use specially for family trees. I'm sure some will have HTML output options

http://www.google.ca/search?q=Family...e+Search&meta=

www.familytreemaker.com is a specific one

Full Member cdingman is on a distinguished road
    You can also use Microsoft Visio.

Chris Dingman
    Webmaster
    <A HREF="http://www.cabarettheatre.org" target="_blank">Cabaret Theatre</A><BR>
    <A HREF="http://www.twinlightdesigns.com" target="_blank">Twinlight Designs</A>

Full Member HellFear is on a distinguished road
    Try familytreelegends.com .

Full Member johnarthton1 is on a distinguished road
    You can find some interesting stuff on dynamic drive. But if you close alignment to the different resolutions in HTML or browser veresions to be. I think you should use lines jpegs.Using images looks like the best idea. Wicked, the alignment won't be off if you use Position: relative left Xpx; where X is the amount of pixels from the left.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information