+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 spaces between sentences in <p> tags?

Active Member WorldBuilder is on a distinguished road

2 spaces between sentences in <p> tags?

Hi all,

Probably simple question. We all know that when writing text into HTML, you could hit the spacebar 300 times before starting a new sentence in the code itself, but when it displays on the web, there will still actually be only ONE space between the end of a sentence and the beginning of a new one. Using CSS, is there a way to set it up so that there is always TWO spaces between sentences? Damned if I can figure it out!

Chris
    My Site | My Blog
    "The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results"
    --Albert Einstein

Full Member whiteknight is on a distinguished road
    are you talking about the paragraph being double-spaced, or 2 spaces between paragraphs?

2 spaces between paragraphs.

Chris
    My Site | My Blog
    "The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results"
    --Albert Einstein

The more I look, the more I realize that this probably isn't possible unless "&nbsp;" is placed at the end of every single paragraph. *sigh*

There are limits to everything, I guess...

Chris
    My Site | My Blog
    --Albert Einstein

Newbie Xelion is on a distinguished road
    Yes there is

p {margin-top: 20pt; margin-bottom: 20pt;}

or instead of pt you can use px

No, that's not what I mean... I mean this:

Sentence one has the "spacebar" pressed ONCE after it, therefore there is only ONE blank space between it and the beginning of the next sentence.

Sentence two has the "spacebar" pressed TWICE after it, therefore there are TWO blank spaces between it and the beginning of the next sentence.

BUT the browsers display only ONE spacebar, no matter how many times you press it, you know?

That's what I mean. Nice try, though!

Welcome to WML, by the way!

Chris
    My Site | My Blog
    --Albert Einstein

Full Member RedefinedMedia is on a distinguished road
    just use the nbsp special char

Originally posted by WorldBuilder
    Welcome to WML, by the way!
    Thanks

What your asking for actually hasn't been implemented in CSS yet

Originally posted by Xelion
    What your asking for actually hasn't been implemented in CSS yet
    Yep, that's what I thought, just wasn't sure. Oh well, they'll hopefully do something like that in CSS 3.

Chris
    My Site | My Blog
    --Albert Einstein

I do know someone has already submitted the idea to W3C, but theres no guarantuee its going to be accepted. The CSS 3 specifications won't be out for another 12-24 months but its unlikely it will be supported by any browser until 3-4 years on from now, thats the only drawback
    Last edited by Xelion; February 8th, 2004 at 05:52 AM.

Well then, thank your friend for me. It's just annoying if you want to do it, because you have to use the nbsp code after every damn sentence. It's annoying. The implication of CSS in browsers does suck. Hopefully, (M$ especially) will realize that they are only hindering creativity and ability by not conforming to proper CSS usage.

Chris
    My Site | My Blog
    --Albert Einstein

Moderator airnine is on a distinguished road
    Why don't you configure your editing software to put "& n b s p ;" whenever you hit the spacebar twice in a row. I think DW even has this multispace feature built in. And adding additional characters to strings is really no problem. Personally I think your making too much of a deal out of this.

Airnine

Why don't you configure your editing software to put "& n b s p ;" whenever you hit the spacebar twice in a row. I think DW even has this multispace feature built in.
    I only use Notepad or vi.
    Personally I think your making too much of a deal out of this.
    Ummmmmmm, huh? The issue was dropped as far as I was concerned. It's not a big deal, nor did I ever make a big deal out of it! I was just wondering if it was possible, that's all.

Chris
    My Site | My Blog
    --Albert Einstein

Full Member whiteknight is on a distinguished road
    i never got the hang of Vi, and i dont have the time to get a good version of emacs.

i write all my code in nano.

Full Member mdbriggs is on a distinguished road
    you could just copy the n b s p typed twice and hit CTRL+V instead of spacebar everytime. thats what i do =]
    mdbriggs - http://mdbriggs.com
    "I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones." - John Cage

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information