+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So many hosting companies...which one is right for you?

Web Junky Matt is on a distinguished road

So many hosting companies...which one is right for you?

1. Determine your price range, and the options you want.
    Once you have compiled a short list of possible companies, ask some pre-sales questions to each of the hosts. While getting your questions answered, you are also checking the company's professionalism and response time.

2. Some things to consider:

a) Are you tech savvy? (It actually helps to choose a host with an easier, less technical interface, if you dont know a lot about the backend of the internet, that is a good way to learn, start with something rather simple and work your way up).

b) It is recommended to look for incentives in a host (Install your own CGIs, cron jobs, and has a good reputation for consistant uptime).

c) Get a list of about 4-5 potential hosts...then compare what you need to what they offer...Remember that cheaper usually isnt the best way to go...if your site is down because you choose a host with overcrowded servers, then your potential customers will go to your competitors! Feel free to email the hosts and ask them questions.

3. Unlimited Bandwidth/Space
    There is no such thing as Unlimited Bandwidth. If your website is popular and consumes alot of bandwidth, this is not a way to escape the higher bandwidth bill. Such hosts do sound convincing, not long after you read their TOS, you will find out that there are ridiculous overage charges that apply past a certain amount of usage. What such hosts are known to do is, if your site uses less than, say, 5GB per month, it qualifies for unlimited bandwidth. As soon as your traffic goes above that you no longer qualify for the "unlimited bandwidth" and are either charged for the excess or forced to move your site. In other words, it's unlimited as long as you stay within the limits.

4. This host is cheaper, and it has the same features!
    Alot of hosts operate under the reliance of the fact that their customers will not use 100% of the purchased bandwidth/resources. This is called overselling and it may or may not affect you directly. If a host oversells by too much, if every client started using 100% of the purchased resources, there will be some problems.

5. Do not prepay for a long term right away!
    Get to know your host, see if it's right for you, after a few months of good service, feel safe to prepay.

6. There are alot of options.
    There are alot of hosts out there, what may be the perfect host for someone may not be so perfect for you.

You get what you pay for!

Good luck with your host search

CREDIT: root, WL Team
    WebmasterLingo.com Team
    Forum Rules

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new" - Albert Einstein

Moderator airnine is on a distinguished road

cheapest is too expensive

In my experience the cheapest doesn't come like that always

and I have most of my accounts with a hosting company that has medium pricing and tested as solid, I've been with them for a couple of years now and considering they have registered over 12M domain names (and that's quite a number) they must have a firm base

taking a cheap account, if one is after zillions of visitors, is plain foolish, because if you have that many visitors, you must have means to cover the expenses of a bigger account with more initial bandwidth (as Matt said, there is no such thing as unlimited bandwidth), so if you go with a small account and get passed the limit you will pay by the Megs exceeded and will overpay a bigger account for many times

it's worth a thought,

Airnine
    -------------------------------
    Airnine is a developer @
    www.promomedium.com
    -------------------------------

Newbie mouseFX is on a distinguished road
    I have made some bad choices when it came to hosts and that's because I looked at the $$$'s

Don't be put off by higher prices. If they charge more, have a bunch of customers and have a good reputation you can't lose.

Do not gamble with losing your or your customers sites, emails and databases.

The worst is if you lose somebodies ecommerse customer details.

Full Member monster is on a distinguished road
    Originally posted by mouseFX
    I have made some bad choices when it came to hosts and that's because I looked at the $$$'s

Don't be put off by higher prices. If they charge more, have a bunch of customers and have a good reputation you can't lose.

Do not gamble with losing your or your customers sites, emails and databases.

The worst is if you lose somebodies ecommerse customer details.
    To build on this it really is true that you get what you pay for.

If you were to see a car for sale that is normally $30k and you can get it for $10, you would automatically think their was something wrong with it.

Just use common sense when it comes to choosing your host.

Here are some ways to ensure you get a good host. It's not fool proof of course:

1) Phone them before you buy, find out if you trust them because ultimately they are going to be holding onto your personal or business site and you need to trust them.

2) Test their support, send a question to them asking them something, see the response time, see the level of the response.
    Gary Jones

MonsterHosting.ca - Canada Web Hosting
    ResellerBackup.com - are your files backed up?

Ive made pretty bad decisions back in the day about web hosts.
    Ive been screwed like 4 times.
    But theres nothing like finding the perfect host.

Full Member Reaction is on a distinguished road
    I found a good host the first time i looked. I found a host that cared about their customers a lot and their technical support was great. Over the past 4 months there has only been 1 day of downtime (and it wasnt even the whole day, more like half a day). And that downtime was due to a DOS attack by a hacker.

Full Member Reaction is on a distinguished road
    By the way, do you mind telling us where webmaster lingo is hosted?

Web Junky Matt is on a distinguished road
    WebmasterLingo is hosted at XO Communications in Secaucus, New Jersey.
    WebmasterLingo.com Team
    Forum Rules

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new" - Albert Einstein

Full Member mttatkns is on a distinguished road
    It's important to make sure that they have an uptime guarantee in case their server goes down as well as a physical address given on their website, so you can be sure they are a real company, and not being run out of someone's garage.

I agree uptime is very important so is speed. There are still so many people on low speed connections... if your site takes too long to load you lose that visitor

Active Member WorldBuilder is on a distinguished road
    Originally posted by Matt
    WebmasterLingo is hosted at XO Communications in Secaucus, New Jersey.
    I wonder why?

Finding the perfect host is always nice. I have to admit that when it comes to web hosting, I just decided to do it myself. It's annoying on ocassion because I do not have a static IP address, but I didn't feel like paying anyone to host a basic family site (which is all I have). Should I grow further into web design, I'll have to find a good host.

I have to admit, though, I have a friend who does hosting, and he's pretty damn good at it. Of course, XO is also awesome. Customer service is the most important thing. An easy user interface, top speed, and reasonable prices makes all the difference in the world!

Chris
    My Site | My Blog
    "The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results"
    --Albert Einstein

Full Member Bicko is on a distinguished road
    Good thread, I agree though that you shouldn't be swayed by price, however, sometimes they sound too good to miss and ya get screwed over, I know i did.

Full Member adjkhost is on a distinguished road
    Yep, usually cheap hosts turn to be scams too often.
    It's most likely because those self-entitled "companies" are actually managed by minors. They can screw everyone, because they do not go to court.

- AF

Active Member Revenant is on a distinguished road
    i've been using http://www.connectyourweb.com to host all my future solutions...so far, no downtime, no lag and they've shown me their serious by giving me a photo of their business license.
    // Rev
    // Ivan Alfaro
    -- Professional Web Developer

Active Member bluzman32 is on a distinguished road
    I have an associate that hosted at Yahoo, thinking it would be good because Yahoo is a big company that wouldn't cheat him. But he has told me that Yahoo does not really give the care and support and "personal sincerity" that a smaller host would have given. Plus, he has also told me that they panels Yahoo gives are nothing compared to Cpanel.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information