Closed Thread

Thread: dynamic IP on server

Full Member whiteknight is on a distinguished road

dynamic IP on server

I'm running an IIS 5.0 server, that is behind a router, and the router is on a cable modem with a dynamic address. I am looking for some method where i can automatically update the server's DNS entry, when the router's IP changes.

I have a computer that lies outside the network that I can use, if there is a software solution that requires data transmission.

I feel like i am being alittle vague, but i know so little about DNS, that i cant really explain it better.

any Ideas?
    thats right, I am the webmaster.

Full Member mttatkns is on a distinguished road
    You can use a dynamic dns service such as www.no-ip.com; they have a program you can download to automatically update the dns; however, this would take configuration to work with the router, and I don't know if you'd be able to get it to work. You could, however, try connecting the server directly to the internet and using a program such as ics to allow the other networked computers to use the connection.

Full Member whiteknight is on a distinguished road
    my other box is linux based, and it has some freeware solution through my registrar that takes care of the dynamic DNS. I was hoping that IIS would have a proprietary solution on-board, but no dice.

I'll check out no-ip.com, see what they have for me. thanks!

Just a side note, but I too refuse to pay my ISP for a dedicated IP so my IP is dynamic as well. BUT. Since I have a linksys router that connects all of my LAN systems to the internet and it's always on, I don't usually have a problem with my IP changing more than once every 6 to 8 months.

You may want to just try it and see but most ISPs won't force an IP reassign on you unless you disconnect from the internet. I've had 3 (cable) and they were all this way. As long as I kept my cable modem and router connected at all times, which is the device you're ISP assigns the IP to, my IP stays the same indefinitely. It only changes once every 6 to 8 months or so and that may even be because I lost power in my house. So what it comes down to is that you may have to update your DNS once every 6 to 8 months (or longer that's just what I experienced) which isn't bad. I look at my sites daily (im fascinated by them I guess) so whenever I lose my IP I have the site back up pretty quickly.

Just a thought.

Full Member mttatkns is on a distinguished road
    Same for me... IP changes after 6 months or after you have been disconnected at least 6 hours.

Closed Thread

Thread Information