+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Domains, the success to your site?

Moderator Aea is on a distinguished road

Thumbs up Domains, the success to your site?

In today's internet, domain names are very common. Droping from the $70 a year monopoly domain names today are usually priced under $10 a year. Any site without one today will seem very unprofessional to most internet surfers. It is important for the success of your site to choose a good domain name, so if you follow this guide you should be safe.

Do I need a domain?
    Do you have a popular site?
    Do you make money from your site?
    Do you need people to remember your site?

If you answered yes to any of the above, then you most likely need a domain name. Only personal blogs or small sites shouldn't need a domain name to do what it needs to do, but a domain name certainly helps.

How do I purchase a domain name?

Choosing a domain name will be a difficult task to any smart webmaster. There are several key rules to consider before you go out and buy your own domain. First, the domain should be under 15 letters long, and contain common phrases if you want your visitors to remember your site. Secondly, your domain name should include what the site is about for 2 reasons; not only does it give better placement in search engines but, your visitors could guess what the site is about just by the domain name. Thirdly, try to avoid numbers, hyphens, and try to keep it letters only.

How do they work?

Domain names are leased in lenghs of a year, they belong completely to you during that period. You can at anytime extend the domain (add more years) if you are close to having it expired (become public). When you purchase your domain, you are given complete DNS control over it, meaning you can make the domain go to your site. The domain becomes your address using nameservers (I will not go into detail on how this process works since the general domain buyer doesn't need to know how it works). Basically you buy your domain, you set up the whois (your contact information), and then set up the domain to use your [host's] nameservers. Some providers offer alternative redirection, parking, and fowarding services (but using DNS is better).

I hope that has answered most of your questions about domain names

CREDIT: Aea, WL Team

Full Member Bicko is on a distinguished road
    Good Post, I strongly agree that domains are a huge part of the success of a site .

Newbie Whisper is on a distinguished road
    Yeah, a good domain name surely is of great help when developing a Web site.

Also, it improves visibility on search engines and makes your site look more professional than a free Tripod hosting account...

Full Member Matrix28 is on a distinguished road
    Nice tutorial!

Full Member uomodonna is on a distinguished road
    It is just like a trademark. If microsoft doesn't have microsoft.com, their sale might not be as good as it is. Well my guess.

Google is famous because google.com is there and yahoo with yahoo.com, .co.uk and etc.

So a good and neat name with no short term is a good investment for serious host or any business.

My opinion.

Full Member tomcromp is on a distinguished road
    yes nice article and i totally agree with it and it also help se ranking if you have a good domain like with keywords init

Full Member Marshall is on a distinguished road
    domains are one of the key factors to me, an easy to remember name thats short will be alot easier to remember and tell friends about than randomname24858.com. That to me makes a difference in real life referrals to your site and visitors.

Full Member tomcromp is on a distinguished road
    yes the lenght and how easy to remember it is is also very important

Active Member Revenant is on a distinguished road
    top-level domains also give u credibility as a webmaster.
    // Rev
    // Ivan Alfaro
    -- Professional Web Developer

Newbie domainsbot is on a distinguished road
    I strongly believe the domain name you choose for your website plays a key role in its success. It functions in different ways and has different aspects and characteristics depending on how you look at it. Here are a couple:
    • It is your Internet identity and your online brand. Customers will remember and use this address to find your Web site, your products or your services
    • It is the technical method that the Internet uses to guide a customer from his computer to your site. A domain name is part of the Domain Name System, which is the navigation system for the Web.
    • It is advertising. If your domain name is something that people think of when they think of the goods or services you offer, they will type it in.
    Hope this helps!

Max Ralli

DomainsBot.com

Ideas into Names

There are 35.24 domain names for every word in the English language. But can still find great domain names because we spent a year building a system that finds them for you. Try it, we think you’ll agree.
    http://www.domainsbot.com

Full Member www.eukhost.com is on a distinguished road

hi

Nice post..indeed.

shane
    <st1:country-region><st1></st1></st1:country-region><st1:country-region><st1></st1></st1:country-region>managed dedicated server|| php mysql hosting
    <email :=""><o></o></email>

Full Member spiralfive is on a distinguished road
    If you run any type of business or professionally-oriented site in general, I think you should have your own domain name. Nice post, though.

Full Member apthost is on a distinguished road
    Thanks for the info! I'll be sure to keep it in mind at the purchase of a new domain

Full Member abuzar345 is on a distinguished road

Arrow reply

yes i too agree with this post like you can understand it by this example that when you are going to open a shop then you will definately choose the name of your shop according to your products or services that you are offering. So the Best suitable Domain name would be the key to your success.

Full Member .amaZe is on a distinguished road
    I agree.. a good domain does contribute to the success of your website..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information