+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Breaking News: Mobile domain registry announced

Web Junky Matt is on a distinguished road

Breaking News: Mobile domain registry announced

March 10, 2004 12:36 PM EST

LONDON—A group of the wireless industry’s largest players announced a plan to form a domain name registry company for the mobile Internet—an agency similar to the Internet’s ICANN registry company—in order to simplify Internet access from mobile phones.

Microsoft Corp., Nokia Corp., Vodafone, 3, GSM Association, Hewlett-Packard Co., Orange, Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. and Sun Microsystems Inc. jointly announced their intention to create a mobile Top Level Domain. The companies said they will file for the Top Level Domain through the Internet Corp. for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), which is the association that registers Internet addresses. Top Level Domains include Internet addresses ending in .com, .org, .net and others.

“The creation of a mobile Top Level Domain would allow consumers to access the Internet in very different mobility scenarios, whether the access is provided by mobile operator, Internet service provider or various gateway devices at home or enterprise,” said Pertti Korhonen, Nokia’s senior vice president and chief technology officer. “The wide industry participation highlights the shared objective of offering seamless global access and interoperability of mobile services and applications.”

To date there is no standard format for mobile Internet addresses. The companies behind the plan said the mobile Top Level Domain would help generate new wireless services and entice additional wireless surfers.
    http://rcrnews.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?newsId=17229

Hopefully these advances will improve our technology
    WebmasterLingo.com Team
    Forum Rules

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new" - Albert Einstein

Full Member Axi is on a distinguished road
    Everything seems to be going 'mobile' now.

Full Member wicked_gal00 is on a distinguished road
    Sounds cool. Should be interesting to see how it develops. I'm actually looking to buy a cellphone soon. What an age we live in!

Full Member Axi is on a distinguished road
    Yea man, have you seen these cell phones lately? So techy with all the features these babies are starting to develop.

Full Member wicked_gal00 is on a distinguished road
    My friend just got a new cell phone. It has an amazing resolution on that colour screen, and sooo many features. I'm so jelous, I can't wait till I get mine. If only all the monthly charges and such weren't so expensive. Imagine if mobile internet was really cheap (not like 50 cents a minute). I would be addicted.

Full Member HellFear is on a distinguished road
    Cell phones these days are improving alot . Alot of good ones have color screen, e-mails, voice messages, and camera!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information