+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Web Standards

Web Standards

How many of you do it? Follow web standards I mean.

I started practicing web standards about 3 months ago. I decided I was going to learn how to use XHTML. That lead me to buy a book titled "Designing with Web Standards" written by Jeffrey Zeldman. Reading this book made me realize how bad my practices were and what I needed to do to begin designing better. All and all, I begin using XHTML and CSS. I started learning about the DOM (Document Object Model) and a few months later, WALLAH! I am now designing with web standards and it feels great.

If you want to learn how to design a site with web standards, pick this book up. I also recommend "Eric Meyer on CSS by Eric Meyer and "More Eric Meyer on CSS" by the same guy.

Anyone know any other great resources?
    Coltura Creativa: Create.Critique.Conquer
    Articles & Reviews

Full Member Marshall is on a distinguished road
    I dont normally follow the web standards, i go by what works and looks good in different browsers. I may start trying to convert my coding to web standard for fun but I dunno. Ill check out that book if I do.

I really recommend you trying it out Marshall.

How many versions of a site do you have to make?

How much Javascript do you have to create to identify browsers so that you can display the site appropriately?

With web standards that is not a variable. Your bandwidth goes down by a lot. For example when the company's website was converted, each page went from around 15-20K to about 5-10K.

The reason for this is that since you aren't using anymore table tags your code cuts down by a lot. Which leaves more content then code. The search engines will probably LOVE that.

Ok that's my extra two cents.
    Articles & Reviews

Full Member scannon is on a distinguished road
    I am a huge advocate of web standards and for many reasons.

First comes accessibility. Everyone wants their site to be accessable by as many people as possible. By following the standards you're going to reach a wider audience. However, if you're just using "whatever works" it may not be accessable to all people. Then comes the issue of using proprietary code. (ex. the css "scroll-bar" attribute only works in IE. (Internet Explorer) And thus, proprietary code decreases accessibility.

Next we have the fact that not all browsers follow the standards which can cause many problems. Mainly I'm talking about IE. We as web designers have to resort to the "Box Model Hacks" because IE is complete junk. It should not be so! I should be able to use a CSS attribute and know that each browser will display it correctly.

By designing with standards in mind eventually Microsoft will have to update IE to display correctly.

And that is only the beginning of a very lengthy subject!

Full Member mentel is on a distinguished road
    I myself am just getting into optimizing my webpages for particular browsers now that people nowadays are using opera and mozilla more frequently. Some interesting stuff to be done to get them optimized.

Some of you already know about this site. For those of you who don't, here you go.

http://www.csszengarden.com/
    Articles & Reviews

Full Member mentel is on a distinguished road
    No I didn't know that site. Keep them coming!

Full Member scannon is on a distinguished road
    Yeah, the zen garden is an AMAZING site. Some of those designs just make you go "wow." and that's all you can say because their so beautiful.

Full Member Marshall is on a distinguished road
    Those are some skilled web developers to make that nice of a site using CSS and not tables

Mentel and Marshall, CSS is a great language to learn and it isn't too hard to pick up. What you need is a good book and some good web resources.

A good book to pick up is "Cascading Style Sheets: The Definitive Guide" by Eric Meyer. The book is published by O'Reilly. It's a great start.

As for web resources. The best one I know of is A List Apart (ALA)

Hope this helps out.
    Articles & Reviews

Full Member HellFear is on a distinguished road
    http://alistapart.com is another great resource.

Active Member the illest is on a distinguished road
    I try to keep mine following the standards.. but it's hard and there aren't really enough benefits to spend the time making it 100% compliant.

Newbie alfradthomas is on a distinguished road
    Thanks for sharing all this different web standards.but you should take care about quality of code like Does the site use a correct Doc-type.Does the site use a Character set.you all give the information is really helpful for me and others.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information