+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ok, this might actually be a bad idea...

Active Member WorldBuilder is on a distinguished road

Ok, this might actually be a bad idea...

Has anyone noticed that people are posting general, well cucca in the forums since the contest was announced? I'm all for contests and other things to make a site such as this more fun, but posting garbage just for the sake of a count is not cool.

I want this site to succeed as much as anyone, but having everyone just post crapola will NOT jumpstart a quality forum. What is MORE important is for everyone who joins to tell as many people as possible. If you have your own site, LINK to WML. I do!

I've been coming here from the very inception of this site, and I have to be honest here. At the current moment, the quality is having trouble. Quantity is great and all, but we will get there in time. Let's not rush it!

Anyone worth his salt knows that quality outweighs quantity any day! Anyway, I'll post answers here if I know them (and questions if I have them). Personally, I'm not interested in money from the contest. I'm interested exclusively in helping Matt build a great forum.

That's just one man's opinion!

See you all 'round the forum!

Chris
    My Site | My Blog
    "The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results"
    --Albert Einstein

Full Member mdbriggs is on a distinguished road

roight

roight. so it seems to me that the intent of the contest is to get people to be on the board more and will probably do the job quite nicely. granted you are gonna get some crap, but not maybe more good posting members as well. its one of things that is quid pro quo. anywho if anyone wants to post crap, i have recently started a forum for just posting crap about crap, unfortunatly no $$$ prizes for most crap posted. heh

its at mdbriggs.com feel free to regester to post crap.
    mdbriggs - http://mdbriggs.com
    "I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones." - John Cage

Web Junky Matt is on a distinguished road
    Posts are reviewed and are given a point value based on our scale system, every post has a certain amount of points that a team member valued it at and it will be taken into consideration when tallying up the contests winners

Don't worry we got that covered.

Full Member Marshall is on a distinguished road
    Ya but after the initial rush of people and the crap topics, more people will stay and start posting in other parts of forums so you do get more people but at first it will seem like alot of crap is getting posted until the ones here just for contest and post it leave.

Originally posted by Matt
    Posts are reviewed and are given a point value based on our scale system, every post has a certain amount of points that a team member valued it at and it will be taken into consideration when tallying up the contests winners

Don't worry we got that covered.
    Ok, That works. All I want is for WML to be quality, not quantity. And the last thing any forum needs are script kiddies...

Chris
    My Site | My Blog
    "The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results"
    --Albert Einstein

Originally posted by galacnet
    *writing spam and crap.... blah blah blah...*
    LOL just joking...

But seriously what happens after the competition? Because I am sure that after the time period and the user has been announced we would suddenly see the forum having a ton of registered members but only a fraction of the active one.
    This is a monthly contest (or at least it was planned to be). If this does good for the forum, we will keep running this contest
    WebmasterLingo.com Team
    Forum Rules

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new" - Albert Einstein

Ok,

I'm back to thinking this was a bad idea. When I look around the forum now and see stupid, meaningless posts from several members ( I won't mention who because it's obvious anyway), it really makes me think that no one deserves to win anything anyway. They're all doing it for some gift, not because they care about the forum or the people. It's all about the post counts, and it's sad, I think.

My $.02,

Chris
    My Site | My Blog
    --Albert Einstein

I have been seeing this as well Chris, I will look into it.
    WebmasterLingo.com Team
    Forum Rules

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new" - Albert Einstein

Full Member Axi is on a distinguished road
    Chris, you cannot make the assumption for everybody. I mean, who are you to say what people intend to do or how they think? I think some or most people here are willing to help the community and are just encouraged by the contest. I have to be honest, I only came here for the contest, but after being here for a while, I really do want to become an established member here, maybe even a future moderator.

My 3 cents.

Full Member wicked_gal00 is on a distinguished road
    I agree with Axi. Even if you have a bunch of people just coming here and posting stupid posts just to improve their chances of winning the contest, they will soon lose interest and leave. However this contest might also bring about people who will stick around and help spread the word about this forum, way after the contest is over. So, overall, I think the contest is a good idea, and will end up benefitting the forum in the long run.

Active Member Revenant is on a distinguished road
    I will be on the train until endgame.
    // Rev
    // Ivan Alfaro
    -- Professional Web Developer

Originally posted by Revenant
    I will be on the train until endgame.
    That's great, but it's not my point. My point isn't dissatisfaction with the TIME people will spend here, it's in what's currently happening around the forum. Over and over again I am seeing new people registering, but NO ONE is creating new threads, ASKING any questions. It's all a group of people (who I'd bet know each other) rehashing the same topics over and over again! Find people who are going to create NEW discussions, ask NEW questions...

I am learning Flash this summer, and when I start asking questions (and I might), I certainly hope someone can answer.

Chris
    My Site | My Blog
    --Albert Einstein

Full Member Axi is on a distinguished road
    No one is creating new threads? I have, and so have others in different areas of the forum. You can just expect people to join and have them create new topics or post all of a sudden, it will take time. Again, you are deciding this factor for us... and how can you say that we are not trying to help? I've tried to the best of my knowledge, and that is how far I can go... what if the others don't know either?

And who are you to say that we a group of people who know each other? I joined on my own not knowing ANY of you. Came here to reply to people's inquires and join the discussion, but if you see it as rehashing the same topic(s) over and over again (such as this thread), I guess you don't like a well established discussion that needs a reply.

Full Member Marshall is on a distinguished road
    I agree with World, look at the front page of the webmaster lounge and tell me how many posts actually have anything to do with webhosting/coding. Everyone is off topic on these boards because of the contest and not posting things that are relevant to the forums.

Active Member Revenant is on a distinguished road
    i've created a couple...so im not on the evil crusader's list .
    // Rev
    // Ivan Alfaro
    -- Professional Web Developer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information