+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a host for a domain, web, and e-mail

Active Member WorldBuilder is on a distinguished road

Need a host for a domain, web, and e-mail

Hi all,

Ok. I am helping a guy set up a new office. I built his computers, built the network, etc... Basically, I'm doing it as a favor and am charging him squat.

Now, he asked me about setting up a server to host his e-mail, website (which I will eventually build him), and other things.

I talked him OUT of his own server. Mainly, I didn't want to have to maintain it if something went wrong or for any other reason. Especially at this point, I just want to get it all over with and move on.

So, he needs to register a domain name, and find someone to host it along with e-mail accounts (about 5 now, up to 20 in the future, POP3 access because he uses Outlook).

I told him I would look around for a host. So, who do YOU guys think I should use? I've heard MidPhase is good, and I've heard of others. Basically, I will need php/mysql, perl/cgi, and ftp access (of course). The MOST important thing is quality support, and I will tell you why...

This guy (Ed) is dumb as toast when it comes to tech stuff and can be VERY NEEDY at times (especially when something is not going right). Cheap is good, but a few extra bucks for quality service and support is better.

What are your thoughts, Oh wise WML members?!

Chris
    My Site | My Blog
    "The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results"
    --Albert Einstein

Active Member Revenant is on a distinguished road
    my future solutions uses connectyourweb.com for hosting, so far, no lag, good clean deal, and free seo service that puts u on #1 for google in the search criteria.
    // Rev
    // Ivan Alfaro
    -- Professional Web Developer

Thanks, Rev.

I gotta say... MidPhase is looking awfully good. $7.95 a month for everything under the sun. I'll let ya'll know.

Chris
    My Site | My Blog
    "The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results"
    --Albert Einstein

yeah, looks like a good choice...go hed n try it, theyre deals look juicy
    // Rev
    // Ivan Alfaro

Better yet, I found www.lunarpages.com

I am liking what I'm reading, too. Thanks to Matt for that heads up.

Will let ya'll know what I decide and what I think.

Chris
    My Site | My Blog
    --Albert Einstein

lunarpages was one of the candidates i was going to pick for me and my partner's future solutions.
    // Rev
    // Ivan Alfaro

Ok, well I have signed up at LunarPages. Seems great so far. I haven't yet been on hold for longer than 6 minutes and they are great. Time will tell further, but I like it so far!

Chris
    My Site | My Blog
    --Albert Einstein

Full Member amish_geek is on a distinguished road
    Lunarpages and MidPhase are 2 of the big boys. They're pretty stable companies and offer good service/plans. Let us know how you fare with them.

Full Member Chey is on a distinguished road
    Hi i'm a newbie here, so please bear with me.

i've been searching around for a web hosting company and loads look great, the offer loads of stuff, what most of it is i have no idea, and thats my problem they have long lists of what they offer but its a jargon to me, being in the UK the American sites offering toll free numbers for help are irrelivant as they aint free from here. So far i have found www.1and1.co.uk which seems good but when i looked through their terms and conditions it said that any traffic over your allowance will be charged. Is this standard, am i right in thinking traffic is how many visitors your site has, can you monitor this, i am a mother with a limited budget and the last thing i need is to get a horrendous bill at the end of the month, yes it would be great to have loads of visitors to my site but not if i got an unexpected bill.

The other question i have is ... should i use the online site builders, i have dreamweaver and have been trying to teach myself how to use it, and i can do the basics and get a site up and operational, but it just dont look that great to me, all these templates look fab i cant seem to make my designs look good every idea i have i cant seem to get the dam program to allow me to do it. I know its probably me and it probably can, the site builders look nice and easy but many of them have templates in appropriate for the site i want and ive been warned off them because "If i want to change host at anytime i will lose my site and have to start again"

If you guys can tolerate a newbie, i would be grateful of any help.

Regards and hope you all had or will have a great new year.

Chey
    I wish I could then I wouldn't be here.

Chey, it's absolutely better, IMO, to NOT use site builders. Create and code your own site. Learn HTML, CSS, etc and Do It Yourself!

Unless there's an immediate rush for a site (never rush something important), you have time to learn.

Take a look throughout this site for great books, links, and tutorials. Read them, try them, and ask more specific questions when you have them!

Chris
    My Site | My Blog
    --Albert Einstein

Full Member Chey is on a distinguished road

Cool

Hi Chris

I have dreamweaver MX studio is that a good one, or should i look into buying something better. I can build a basic site, giving all info i want, links that work, roll overs, hot spots, having problems with frames not doing what i want though.
    Chey
    I wish I could then I wouldn't be here.

Newbie Leann is on a distinguished road

Cheap host solution

The first thing you should ask yourself when choosing a host, is what do you need and how much are you willing to pay for it? You need to evaluate what exactly the ISP or host is offering included with the price and what is extra. If you want reliabilty and no hassles like hidden fees, check out sparkservers.net. They really live up to their name.
    If you want a site builder that is simple and easy to use, they offer with any dedicated package Plesk control panel.

Hope this helps

Full Member richmond is on a distinguished road

Try my host..

hi,

I am using www.sohnihost.com as my web host. I have designed my website also with sohnihost designing service. Nice customer support and design experienced.

Richmond

Full Member creampuffy is on a distinguished road
    It's a free web hosting.

UNLIMITED DISK SPACE!
    You can use FileManager and FTP
    CGI, PHP, Perl are available
    Subdomain hosting.

You can use this service immediately after 3 minutes signup.

http://www.creampuffy.net/

Newbie sherifhamdy is on a distinguished road

you may like this!

HOSTTIE :: Low cost web site hosting for your small business for only $4.95 or 3.07

www.hosttie.com

Disk Space: 15GB

Data Transfer: 300GB/Month

Domains Hosted: 1 (Free)

30b Days Money back Guarantee

24/7 UK & USA Phone support

Plus Free: Website Builder, 33 Elefante Free Scripts (CubeCarte shopping cart, Classifieds ads, Blogs, Content management, Customer Support and more), 100 POP3 email accounts, and more.

More Info: www.Hosttie.com

Phone UK: +44 20 7993 2768 (Our ID 33534)

Phone USA & Canada: +1 800 574 0902 (Our ID 33534)

email: hosttiesup@yahoo.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information