View Poll Results: Should i renew my domain?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yeah, keep it around because you love it.

5 100.00%
  • No, nobody cares, and it's money that you shouldnt waste.

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: keeping my domain

Full Member whiteknight is on a distinguished road

keeping my domain

I just got a letter from my Registrar, they want 25$ to maintain my domain for another year.

things have been a little tight lately, i've had bad mono for the last 2 months, and havent picked up a solid summer job yet. I've made a little money doing some random work here and there, but i dont have enough for frivolous spending.

I'm very proud of my site, I write all the code for the site, I manage my own server, and I even write a little bit of code for my server as well, so I have alot of time, code, and energy invested in the project.

However, I just plain dont get any traffic. I dont sell anything, or have an e-business of any kind, I dont have alot of content (i have alot of personal stuff, and biographical stuff, but nothing for the general public)

so, do i send in the 25$ to maintain a domain that nobody will see, but that I am very proud of? It's quite the pickle.
    thats right, I am the webmaster.

Full Member Marshall is on a distinguished road
    I say yes, its only $25 for one year which is really cheap nowadays and you can use it to show off to friends saying, "Ya, heh, I made that" and who knows, you may even get more visitors this year

Full Member cdingman is on a distinguished road
    Try shopping around at other domain registrars. I think you can get it registered elsewhere for quite a bit less than $25/yr.

I know goDaddy used to register domains for as little as $9.95/yr but I'm not sure if they still do.

Chris Dingman
    Webmaster
    <A HREF="http://www.cabarettheatre.org" target="_blank">Cabaret Theatre</A><BR>
    <A HREF="http://www.twinlightdesigns.com" target="_blank">Twinlight Designs</A>

Web Junky Matt is on a distinguished road
    Chris made a great suggestion, consider another registrar, even $25/yr is a rip off nowadays. There is so much competition that you will be able to find a domain registrar under $10/yr.

On a side note, you have to decide for yourself if you feel the domain name has value or it is just a random name that you won't need in the near future. You can always keep it, or let it expire if it is not utilized at all, why pay evn $25/yr if you aren't using it?
    WebmasterLingo.com Team
    Forum Rules

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new" - Albert Einstein

Active Member the illest is on a distinguished road
    Use www.namecheap.com

Your site will be down for a couple days most likely because you'd be switching the cheap way.. but it'd be worth the $18.

Full Member whiteknight is on a distinguished road
    nah, i want to stay with the registrar i have now, because they have a few nice features, and they are also the people who make my server software, so as long as i stay subscribed with them, I get all sorts of software support.

i think the vote is pretty unanimous, I'll probably keep my domain.

Active Member Revenant is on a distinguished road
    stay with it, persistence is the key, technique is the turn .
    // Rev
    // Ivan Alfaro
    -- Professional Web Developer

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information