+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which webhost should I get

Active Member Fabolous05 is on a distinguished road

Which webhost should I get

Hi I'm considering opening up a website and I am unsure and not even sure where to site of finding a web host.

I want something cheap yet not crappy :P

Any reccomendations?

thanks.
    Fabo@VolantaStudios.com
    Head Designer
    Volantà Studios

Active Member WorldBuilder is on a distinguished road
    I host my own site, but for others, I use LunarPages. They have been OUTSTANDING so far.

Chris
    My Site | My Blog
    "The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results"
    --Albert Einstein

Full Member cdingman is on a distinguished road
    Search around, look on google.

Get recommendations from people you know.

There are many, many hosts out there, some of which are cheap and/or not crappy.
    Chris Dingman
    Webmaster
    <A HREF="http://www.cabarettheatre.org" target="_blank">Cabaret Theatre</A><BR>
    <A HREF="http://www.twinlightdesigns.com" target="_blank">Twinlight Designs</A>

thanks for the help,

that lunarpages one seems like the right price for me Will I have to buy a domain on top of that right?
    Fabo@VolantaStudios.com
    Head Designer
    Volantà Studios

Originally posted by Fabolous05
    Will I have to buy a domain on top of that right?
    Ummmmm... Do you already have a domain name registered? If not, then you can get it from them (provided that it's .com, .net, or .org). But if you already have a domain name registered, then you can just transer the DNS settings and have LP host the site & e-mail, etc.

Chris
    My Site | My Blog
    "The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results"
    --Albert Einstein

thanks for quick response,

say if it were cheaper to buy a domain from someone else, should I do it?

By that I mean is there any difference of buying domains from people, is there ever such a thing of one domain being faster loading then another?

Or can there be times where the domain provider is down and the domain doesn't work?
    Fabo@VolantaStudios.com
    Head Designer
    Volantà Studios

say if it were cheaper to buy a domain from someone else, should I do it?
    Sure, why not, but domains are cheap pretty much everywhere. I think it's $15 to buy it from LP. The advantage to buying it from LP is that they will setup DNS for you within an hour of signing up. I have to admit, when I bought domains from them, I was ready to go and able to upload all within an hour. I now have 2 domains/hosting with them and am thrilled.

By that I mean is there any difference of buying domains from people, is there ever such a thing of one domain being faster loading then another?
    No, speed has nothing to do with who you buy the domain from. Speed is a function of the host and the bandwidth you buy, traffic, and user connection speed (among other things).

Or can there be times where the domain provider is down and the domain doesn't work?
    If your host's server goes down, then yes your site will be down. It happens sometimes, but is rare. That's what "uptime" is. LP is up 99.97% of the time, I believe.

Chris
    My Site | My Blog
    --Albert Einstein

Active Member the illest is on a distinguished road
    Setting up the DNS for a domain is easy.

Go with www.namecheap.com cheap and good.

Don't go with Ev1 though, unless you want to get loads of junkmail to your house.

do certain domain registrar's have certain options that go along with their domain, that other's might not? Or are all domains just the same.
    Fabo@VolantaStudios.com
    Head Designer
    Volantà Studios

Web Junky Matt is on a distinguished road
    Taken from NameCheap's site, below are the extra features eNom resellers provide (eNom is a very big, accredited registrar that has been around for awhile)

It is definitely not worth paying $15/yr for a domain these days, they easily go for under $10/yr. (not a big difference, but why overpay )
    • FREE URL Forwarding/Framing with no ads
    • FREE Domain Parking (Coming Soon) Page
    • FREE E-mail Forwarding (you@yourdomain.com)
    • FREE Dynamic DNS
    • FREE Transfers
    • FREE Full Control over your domain
    • FREE Change of ownership
    • FREE Security features prevents hijacking
    • Your Information will be visible in WHOIS
    • Consolidated Domain Management
    Manage all your domains in one place
    WebmasterLingo.com Team
    Forum Rules

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new" - Albert Einstein

do certain domain registrar's have certain options that go along with their domain, that other's might not? Or are all domains just the same.
    Domains are NOTHING more than a name. They are nothing else. Different hosts sell different hosting packages, but that is a seperate issue. As you can see from that "namecheap" site, LP is certainly much better (IMO).

Chris
    My Site | My Blog
    --Albert Einstein

meh, yeah If I choose LP I'll just buy it from them, less hassle, why bother over only 5 dollars.

Thanks for posts.
    Fabo@VolantaStudios.com
    Head Designer
    Volantà Studios

Web Junky Matt is on a distinguished road
    meh, yeah If I choose LP I'll just buy it from them, less hassle, why bother over only 5 dollars.

Thanks for posts.
    Buying domains from your hosting vendor is not a good practice. Even though LunarPages is a big company, people have been robbed of their domains because something happened between them and the hosting vendor and they decided to leave. (I am not referring to LP, haven't heard of such issues with them)

In this case, it probably won't be the issue but I would just like to give the heads up for those that are looking to buy domains from a rather smaller company.
    WebmasterLingo.com Team
    Forum Rules

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new" - Albert Einstein

yeah that is true, if I owned a domain from someone else they really can't take it away from me.

good point, thanks

Active Member the illest is on a distinguished road
    Like I said, www.namecheap.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information