Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aligning Problem.

Active Member the illest is on a distinguished road

Aligning Problem.

Ok, I decided to make my site a little more reliant on CSS. heh

The only problem is that on the http://www.cyngoseek.com/aboutcyngoseek.php page it shows the paragraphs as centered.. and I don't want that, I want them aligned to the left. The CSS file can be found at www.cyngoseek.com/stylesheet.css

Thanks to those that help. *cough*WorldBuilder*cough* lol

Web Junky Matt is on a distinguished road
    Without seeing your CSS style sheet, there is not much I can help you with

www.cyngoseek.com/stylesheet.css produces a 404 error. After looking at your code, it looks like your CSS is located in the file called 'style_default.css'

You can copy the contents of your CSS file into a post here at the forums, using the code tags ( [code] )
    WebmasterLingo.com Team
    Forum Rules

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new" - Albert Einstein

Active Member Fabolous05 is on a distinguished road
    here it is for you,

http://www.cyngoseek.com/style_default.css
    Code:
    BODY {color:#000000; background-color: #FFFFFF; font-family: Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif; text-align: center;}
    TABLE.template{color:#FFFFFF; background-color:#000000; width:650px; border-style:none; margin-left:auto; margin-right:auto;}
    TABLE.credits{color:#FFFFFF; background-color:#000000; width:100%; border-style:none; margin-left:auto; margin-right:auto;}
    TABLE.maintable {border-style: none; border-width: 0; text-align: center; width: 650px;}
    TABLE.bobthebuilder {border-style: none; border-width: 0px; height: 25px;}
    TR.rowheader{color:#FFFFFF; background-color:#666666; font-size:10pt; font-weight:bold; border-style:none;}
    TR.rowprimary{color:#000000; background-color:#E9E9E9; font-size:10pt; border-style:none;}
    TR.rowsecondary{color:#000000; background-color:#FFFFFF; font-size:10pt; border-style:none;}
    TD.header{color:#000000; background-color:#FFFFFF; border-style:none;}
    TD.nav{color:#000000; background-color:#336699; width:150px; border-style:none;}
    TD.main{color:#000000; background-color:#FFFFFF; width:600px; border-style:none;}
    TD.footer{color:#000000; background-color:#336699; border-style:none;}
    TD.cellheader {color:#FFFFFF; background-color:#336699; font-size:10pt; font-weight:bold; border-style:none;}
    TD.cellprimary {color:#000000; background-color:#E9E9E9; font-size:10pt; border-style:none;}
    TD.cellsecondary {color:#000000; background-color:#FFFFFF; font-size:10pt; border-style:none;}
    TD.dunno {background-color: #336699; height: 50px; text-align: left; vertical-align: middle;}
    TD.menu {color: #336699; background-color: #CCCCCC; height: 12px; width: 100%; text-align: right; font-size: 10pt; font-weight: bold;}
    TD.dunno2 {background-color: #FFFFFF; height: 25px; width: 100%; text-align: center;}
    TD.mymythisherefooterguy {background-color: #336699; text-align: center; width: 100%;}
    TD.footerlinkstd {background-color: #336699; text-align: left;}
    TD.footerlinkstdreturns {background-color: #336699; text-align: center;}

a:link {color:#340B77; background-color:transparent; text-decoration: none}
    a:visited {color:#340B77; background-color:transparent; text-decoration: none}
    a:active {color:#6666FF; background-color:transparent; text-decoration: none}
    a:hover {color:#6666FF; background-color:transparent; text-decoration:none;}

.bodyheader {color:#333333; background-color:#FFFFFF; font-size:18pt; font-weight:bold;}

.bodysm {color:#333333; font-size:8pt; font-weight:normal; text-align: left}
    .bodysmbold {color:#333333; background-color:#FFFFFF; font-size:8pt; font-weight:bold;}
    .bodymd {color:#333333; font-size:10pt;  font-weight:normal; text-align: left;}
    .bodymdbold {color:#333333; background-color:#FFFFFF; font-size:10pt; font-weight:bold;}
    .bodylg {color:#333333; background-color:#FFFFFF; font-size:12pt; font-weight:normal;}
    .bodylgbold {color:#333333; background-color:#FFFFFF; font-size:12pt; font-weight:bold;}
    .url {color:#D02222; font-size:10pt;}
    .footerlinks {color:#FFFFFF; font-size: 10pt;}

h1 {font-size: 16pt; font-weight:bold;}
    h2 {font-size: 10pt; font-weight: bold; color:#333333; display:inline; }
    h3 {font-size:8pt; font-weight: normal; color:#333333; display:inline; }

a.adminbtn:link{display:block;padding:1px;text-decoration:none;font-size:8pt;color:#000000;background-color:#C0C0C0;border-color:#000000;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;}
    a.adminbtn:visited{display:block;padding:1px;text-decoration:none;font-size:8pt;color:#000000;background-color:#C0C0C0;border-color:#000000;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;}
    a.adminbtn:active{display:block;padding:1px;text-decoration:none;font-size:8pt;color:#000000;background-color:#C0C0C0;border-color:#000000;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;}
    a.adminbtn:hover{display:block;padding:1px;text-decoration:none;font-size:8pt;color:#666666;background-color:#E9E9E9;border-color:#666666;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;}
    Fabo@VolantaStudios.com
    Head Designer
    Volantą Studios

lol

I forgot I changed it. lol, sorry about that.

Try removing 'text-align: left;' from .bodymd , it should set the align as default.

Besides that, you have set 'text-align: center;' under BODY, and the same for TABLE.maintable .

Active Member WorldBuilder is on a distinguished road

Re: Aligning Problem.

Originally posted by the illest
    Ok, I decided to make my site a little more reliant on CSS. heh

The only problem is that on the http://www.cyngoseek.com/aboutcyngoseek.php page it shows the paragraphs as centered.. and I don't want that, I want them aligned to the left. The CSS file can be found at www.cyngoseek.com/stylesheet.css

Thanks to those that help. *cough*WorldBuilder*cough* lol
    You basically want *edited to remove old, dead link*, right?

If that's ok, let me know and we'll go over the code changes. I removed some, added some, and basically did it the quickest way. Not the prettiest work, but functional.

Chris
    Last edited by WorldBuilder; January 20th, 2005 at 09:20 PM.
    My Site | My Blog
    "The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results"
    --Albert Einstein

Chris, your link doesn't work, seems to me like a DNS problem
    WebmasterLingo.com Team
    Forum Rules

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new" - Albert Einstein

Originally posted by Matt
    Chris, your link doesn't work, seems to me like a DNS problem
    Yes. I realized that this morning. My ISP changed my IP address so I had to update that info with my registrar. As we all know, that can take up to 72 hours to propagate throughout the web, so it mght be a day or two. When I return home, I will post the new XHTML and CSS files here in a zip file for you, Illest. It woks the way you want.

Matt had the right idea, but it had to be expanded more. I'l explain tonight ater I post the zip file.

Chris
    My Site | My Blog
    "The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results"
    --Albert Einstein

Thanks for the attempt.. and soon to be help World. heh

The only thing is.. is that page is three files, plus the CSS file... and those tags are used all around the site, and every time I mess with it I end up messing it up more or something. heh

Here's the zip file. My DNS is still messed up (I'm beginning to think something else is wrong here), so all I can offer is the zip right now. You'll see it.

Here's basically what I did:

I added a div around the ENTIRE index.html file contents and placed a class of center on it. Check the CSS file for the center class properties.

I removed text-align: center; from BODY & Maintable. They were unnecessary.

I also copied .bodymd to make ".bodymd p" and added a text indentation so that each new paragraph (p tag) would be indented by 1.5em.

I think that's it.

Now, for such a small page, there is WAY TOO MUCH code. The whole realignment process took me about 10 minutes, 8 of which was just finding what I needed. You're combining tables, div's, span's, and a zillion other things. That's fine, and it works, but there's gotta be a much more streamlined method. All the pages are basically the same, right? They should all be able to use the same CSS file.

In addition, most of the HTML & CSS code is doing nothing and can be removed. I can't even begin to get into what can go, but just as an exercise, you might want to try and redo the pages from scratch, simplifying them.

All in all, good work for beginning CSS. It works in all browsers, and looks good. Nice job.

Chris
    Attached Files Attached Files
    My Site | My Blog
    --Albert Einstein

Heh, that's the thing, I've tried making the page more streamlined, but not too successful at it because it's a script. I've already edited just about everything that I can without messing it up. The CSS has been changed big time by me though. lol

Now, off to make the the changes to the site.

EDIT: It worked, thanks a lot.
    Last edited by the illest; June 30th, 2004 at 10:21 PM.

Ok, um.. the search bar is aligned at the left now.. ?

Originally posted by the illest
    Ok, um.. the search bar is aligned at the left now.. ?
    Ok, I'm doing this untested, but it should be easy to fix.

First things first. In your CSS, change the center id to a CLASS, not an id. In other words, change #center to .center

Second, in your HTML, change <div id="center"> that's right under your body tag to <div class="center">.

Now, the entire HTML which has your search area... In that td tag, keep the id="dunno2" and ADD class="center". From dunno2 in your CSS, remove text-align: center;

I think that'll do it. Post back.

Chris
    My Site | My Blog
    --Albert Einstein

Illest, I noticed today that the page still isn't fixed. What's up? Have you worked on it?

Chris
    My Site | My Blog
    --Albert Einstein

I haven't had time to fix it yet. lol

Been busy with www.theillest.net and my blog and work. heh

I think I'll do it now though.

EDIT: Ok, I got it.. but instead of 'class="center"' I had to put 'align="center"'.
    Last edited by the illest; July 3rd, 2004 at 09:30 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information