+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Per page or time?

Active Member WorldBuilder is on a distinguished road

Per page or time?

When you design a site for a client, do you charge per page or for overall time? Which is better in your humble opinion?

Chris
    My Site | My Blog
    "The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results"
    --Albert Einstein

Active Member Revenant is on a distinguished road
    page if personal, hour if commercial.
    // Rev
    // Ivan Alfaro
    -- Professional Web Developer

Full Member cdingman is on a distinguished road
    Depends. I usually find out exactly what they want and negotiate a flat fee with them.

I guess I don't really do either. I negotiate with them.

Seeings as I'm just getting into the business as a paid designer, I can't really say.

Chris Dingman
    Webmaster
    <A HREF="http://www.cabarettheatre.org" target="_blank">Cabaret Theatre</A><BR>
    <A HREF="http://www.twinlightdesigns.com" target="_blank">Twinlight Designs</A>

Active Member WorldBuilder is on a distinguished road
    I'm building a basic, static site for a "friend". I am charging him per hour because realistically, that will cost him less than per page. A fair amount of pages, but most are the same basic code, so it won't take me that long. I thought that was the more courteous thing to do for an acquaintance.

Chris
    My Site | My Blog
    "The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results"
    --Albert Einstein

Full Member whiteknight is on a distinguished road
    i've never actually charged money for a site design, although realistically i could charge. I usually make sites for people as as favor, to get other trades or crafts for free myself.

Full Member syphic is on a distinguished road
    If the work is only a few hours or less I charge hourly otherwise I charge a flat rate according to how long it would take me times my hourly rate. Which by doing that sometimes I go over and other times I go under.

Full Member ddshop is on a distinguished road
    I think its best to charge a flat out fee or work out some kind of deal or trade as that what i do most of the time i never charge per page!

Full Member tylercruz is on a distinguished road
    Heh.. per 'page' is very 1996... if I was hiring a web designer and they even MENTIONED "per page", I'd be leaving them behind so fast they didn't know what happened.

I'd say 95% of the time, web designers that charge "per page" are horrid web designers who are just starting and have learned a few HTML tags and are basing their calculation as a carpenter would ask "how many rooms?".

Anyhow, I personally believe 'flat fees' to be the best approach - as charging by hour is never fair - you could work very slow, or very crappy, or even very fast...
    Tyler Cruz
    Merendi Networks
    Merendi.com Movie-Vault.com PokerForums.org

I'd say 95% of the time, web designers that charge "per page" are horrid web designers who are just starting and have learned a few HTML tags and are basing their calculation as a carpenter would ask "how many rooms?".
    That is one of the dumbest things i have ever read! I deal with a variety of excellent designers who charge per page.

Like someone above mentioned....i would charge a flat out fee for a friend and perhaps per hour cost for a client i didn't know.
    Freelance design & programming community
    www.talkfreelance.com

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information