+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The MONO Project

Full Member Marshall is on a distinguished road

The MONO Project

Looks like a new .NET based development platform is coming out for Linux and other systems. It looks like it may be nice for people that use linux for their code as well.

http://www.mono-project.com/about/index.html

What is Mono?

Mono is a comprehensive open source development platform based on the .NET framework that allows IT and ISV developers to build Linux and cross-platform applications with unprecedented productivity.

Mono's .NET implementation is based on the ECMA standards for C# and the Common Language Infrastructure.

Mono is positioned to become the leading choice for development of Linux applications as well as cross platform applications. Sponsored by Novell and led by Miguel de Icaza, the Mono project has an active and enthusiastic contributing community. Mono includes both developer tools and the infrastructure needed to run .NET client and server applications.

Mono includes a compiler for the C# language, an ECMA-compatible runtime engine (the Common Language Runtime, or CLR),and class libraries. The libraries include Microsoft .NET compatibility libraries (including ADO.NET and ASP.NET), Mono's own and third party class libraries.Gtk#, a set of .NET bindings for the gtk+ toolkit and assorted GNOME libraries can be found in the later. This library allows you to build fully native Gnome application using Mono and includes support for user interfaces built with the Glade interface builder. Furthermore, Mono's runtime can be embedded into applications for simplified packaging and shipping. In addition, the Mono project offers an IDE, debugger, and documentation browser.

If you have questions about the project, read the project launch statement or visit our list of Frequently Asked Questions.

For details on the project's future direction, read the roadmap, and download Mono 1.0.
    What you all think?

edit - Oh and if it all works out well and gets stable enough to use on live servers, you may be able to use asp and asp.net on linux and other non-windows servers

Full Member cdingman is on a distinguished road
    I don't see the point - The whole purpose to working on a *NIX server is to get away from using MS -

I guess if you're looking to create cross platform stuff it might be cool though.

Chris Dingman
    Webmaster
    <A HREF="http://www.cabarettheatre.org" target="_blank">Cabaret Theatre</A><BR>
    <A HREF="http://www.twinlightdesigns.com" target="_blank">Twinlight Designs</A>

Full Member Marshall is on a distinguished road
    Its mainly so you can use stuff coded in VB.net or C# or asp.net on *nix. Basically cross-compatibility of programs and then ASP for websites wont be windows only and will make linux that much better of a choice in an operating system. And it also makes it easier for developers to code in other *nix systems because it has a giant library of commonly used coding that you can use in your programs to speed up the creation time.

Full Member whiteknight is on a distinguished road
    Originally posted by cdingman
    I don't see the point - The whole purpose to working on a *NIX server is to get away from using MS -
    To be fair, there are plenty of different reasons why a person would choose to use Linux in comparison to linux, and many of the reasons are far more valid then "I dont like microsoft, so i'm going to use any other alternative, even if it is crap."

Also, the .NET framework is an (arguably) good idea in programming, and has been submitted (in part) to ANSI for standardization UNLIKE the main .NET competetor: Java. .NET, especially the flagship language, C#, are very powerfull and usefull. C# is very robust, it maintains the power of C with the rapid application development of VB and the eloquence of Java. It would be foolhardy for any software engineer to overlook it.

Also, i would argue that WinXP is the single best wide-spread OS ever coded, and that Linux is pathetic in comparison, but thats a different topic for a different thread.
    thats right, I am the webmaster.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information