+ Reply to Thread

Thread: so many web designers

Full Member whiteknight is on a distinguished road

so many web designers

I was at barnes & noble yesterday, looking for a book when i noticed something that really made me stop and think. B&N has a relatively small computer book section, and the majority of that small section is devoted to web design: flashmx, html, php, css, perl, javascript, web design in photoshop, etc... which astounds me.

there are so many websites out there, and so few of them have content worthy of their slick designs. so few sights have anything worthwhile to say, or sell, or do, but millions of people are picking up "HTML for dummies" and trying to break into the world of web design.

alot of the people on the boards here are genuinely talented web designers, and i wonder if anybody has any opinions on the growing "web design" fad in the computer world? can any joe schmoe just jump in and become a great web designer? will those "HTML for completely computer-illiterate morons" books really get anybody off to a good start in this business?
    thats right, I am the webmaster.

Web Junky Matt is on a distinguished road
    I believe a person needs to have a certain level of creativity in combination with skill to become a good designer. I doubt that anyone can become a designer just like that.
    WebmasterLingo.com Team
    Forum Rules

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new" - Albert Einstein

i feel like it's a little insulting to the high-quality people around here that any self-described "dummy" can pick up a book and learn "html programming." i like to think that not every dummy on the planet can just do all the things i've spent years learning

Full Member cdingman is on a distinguished road
    Originally posted by whiteknight
    i feel like it's a little insulting to the high-quality people around here that any self-described "dummy" can pick up a book and learn "html programming." i like to think that not every dummy on the planet can just do all the things i've spent years learning
    Very well put.

That's what separates the professionals from the amateurs. Anyone can pick up a book and call themselves a web designer (or a carpenter or a plumber or whatever) but that doens't make them a professional

Chris Dingman
    Webmaster
    <A HREF="http://www.cabarettheatre.org" target="_blank">Cabaret Theatre</A><BR>
    <A HREF="http://www.twinlightdesigns.com" target="_blank">Twinlight Designs</A>

imagine the absurdity to walk through a bookstore one day and see a title "open heart surgery for dummies." you know that there are some people in this world that really shouldnt be performing amateur heart surgery, and anybody who describes themselves as a "dummy" really should be at the end of the list.

also, it's insulting to a doctor to think that any dummy could come along and pretend to do the complicated things that they do in an operating room.

web design isn't just some quick craft you can learn in your spare time that will magically pay the bills one day.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information