+ Reply to Thread

Thread: mySQL

Full Member Steveo31 is on a distinguished road

mySQL

I have seen this a lot in conjunction with PHP. I know it is said as "My Seekwel" but after that, I'm clueless. Database somethin, but how does on get into it (say, through dreamweaver) and clearing, why one needs it, blah blah. Does someone have a link I could get some more info on it?

Thanks.

-Steve

Full Member Interactive is on a distinguished road
    http://www.mySQL.com/

Basically it's a free (well of sorts) database management system. Like Access, except mySQL doesn't run backwards in time (ie Access is slower than crap going through a straw).

Why does one need it?
    Well for example, this entire forum is stored in it (excluding the scripts that run it). That's all the members, posts, threads, etc.

What do you mean by clearing?

Full Member Allin1Joe is on a distinguished road
    MySQL comes in very handy when doing "dynamic" pages. You want to build a page that will allow the user to change it without having to change the actual HTML code. So, you store that data in a DB, like MySQL. Now, you have a very quick and easy way to extract that data and show your page. PhP is a very popular, also open source, programming language that is used in conjunction with MySQL.

As was mentioned earlier, a message board is an excellent example of a DB in use. There are now what are called Content Management Systems that lets you build an entire website without typing 1 line of HTML or other code. http://www.phpnuke.org is the most popular.

However, before trying to build a dynamic website hooked to a DB, I would suggest learning SQL and database design. A badly coded site will be ultra slow, and hog up server resources.

Moderator airnine is on a distinguished road
    you have two sides: php and mysql

the first one is a powerful scripting language used for dynamic generation of content and

the second one is a database (with many attributes and features)

you use php to interact with the database and provide content according to a specific query

in a database you can store all sorts of data from text to images

in a database you can store certain data in one cell of a table column in a table row and have many other data attached to it in sequential cells

you could even cross reference your tables and have data indexed in all sorts of ways

to conclude: if you want dynamic data presented to your viewers, php / mysql is definitely the best way to go

Airnine
    -------------------------------
    Airnine is a developer @
    www.promomedium.com
    -------------------------------

Full Member cdingman is on a distinguished road
    As opposed to the MS solution:

Windows Server 2003, MSSQL/Access, IIS and ASP.

Not quite so free

Chris Dingman
    Webmaster
    <A HREF="http://www.cabarettheatre.org" target="_blank">Cabaret Theatre</A><BR>
    <A HREF="http://www.twinlightdesigns.com" target="_blank">Twinlight Designs</A>

Active Member WorldBuilder is on a distinguished road

Re: mySQL

Originally posted by Steveo31
    I know it is said as "My Seekwel" but after that, I'm clueless.
    Ok, excuse me for making fun of you, but I can't resist. You're even wrong about the pronunciation of MySQL. It IS (technically) pronounced "My-ess-cue-ell".

http://searchdatabase.techtarget.com...516819,00.html

Most people do call it "My Seekwel", but most people are wrong.

Chris
    My Site | My Blog
    "The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results"
    --Albert Einstein

Active Member the illest is on a distinguished road
    I thought the whole "my seekwel" was crazy... heh. I've always said it "my-ess-cue-ell". lol

How do they get "seekwel"?

Active Member Revenant is on a distinguished road
    mysql is just based on databases, databases are basically virtual files that store what you've done, this is convenient becuz u cant be goin to each page coppn n pastin everythin you've done..
    // Rev
    // Ivan Alfaro
    -- Professional Web Developer

Full Member cdingman is on a distinguished road
    Actually mySQL is a database.

I have heard it pronounced both ways, and AFAIK either one is correct.

It is much easier than trying to deal with flat text files, IMHO.

Chris Dingman
    Webmaster
    <A HREF="http://www.cabarettheatre.org" target="_blank">Cabaret Theatre</A><BR>
    <A HREF="http://www.twinlightdesigns.com" target="_blank">Twinlight Designs</A>

Active Member Revenant is on a distinguished road
    m i the only one who dont know what IMHO means ?
    // Rev
    // Ivan Alfaro
    -- Professional Web Developer

Web Junky Matt is on a distinguished road
    Originally posted by Revenant
    m i the only one who dont know what IMHO means ?
    In My Humble Opinion
    WebmasterLingo.com Team
    Forum Rules

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new" - Albert Einstein

Newbie dejonthompson01 is on a distinguished road
    MySQL is an open source SQL relational database management system data which is free for many uses. MySQL database used by some Web sites with heavy traffic and more like Google, Wikipedia, Facebook, YouTube. MySQL provides several important features, such as multiple storage engines commit group.

Newbie Beverlyann is on a distinguished road
    MySQL uses the SQL language, so it is easy to use and learn.It is licensed under the GPL, so it is free. If you want a commercial license is very cheap, especially compared to other databases such as Oracle or Microsoft SQL Server. MySQL database can handle up to 50 million lines. The entire table can be up to 4 GB.

Newbie madisonaarris is on a distinguished road
    MySQL, an open source program that allows you to create, maintain and manage relational databases. Ultimately, it is by far the most popular of all the database management system, which is specially designed for Internet content. MySQL is used in almost all the biggest names in the Web thanks to the reliability and comfort.

I thought the whole "my seekwel" was crazy... heh. I've always said it "my-ess-cue-ell". lol

How do they get "seekwel"?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information