+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Metallic Butterly

Newbie xodus is on a distinguished road

Metallic Butterly

I would like to learn how to take a picture of a butterfly and give it a metallic/chrome look in Photoshop.
    In addition can someone explain the simplest way to change the colors of a butterfly with ease. For example, say you have a monarch butterly and want to change the brownish-orange colors to purple and perhaps the black colors to white etc. Is there a way to change them all at one or does it have to be done one at a time. I would really love for someone to explain how to do both step by step b/c honestly, I am a novice at this....
    Thanks in advance,
    X

Active Member WorldBuilder is on a distinguished road
    To change specific colors you should try image > adjustments > selective color. You can get decent results doing it that way. To give your butterfly a metalic look.. well you can do it through a series of filters but i would personally draw the effect on with my wacom.

However, you could try selecting your butterfly with the lasso then go to Select>Feather to adjust how much of the area areound your selection will be gradiated. Select>Inverse then go to Image>Adjustments>Replace Color and click on the color you want to replace. Add or subract colors with the + or - eyedropper. Use the Hue selector to select what color you want then adjust how many tonalities out from your selected color you wnat to go with the Fuzziness slider.You'll see what I mean when you use it. Play with this and see what you can come up with.

Chris
    My Site | My Blog
    "The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results"
    --Albert Einstein

Newbie xodus is on a distinguished road
    I will give it a shot, but as I said I am still new at this, so when you say try a series of filters, I guess the question would be, which filters?

X

Newbie jameshack is on a distinguished road
    It depicts the outline of a butterfly and each of its wings. For the top wings, there's separate sections. Both are kind of tear formed. The bottom wings have section and are also tear formed but are much more rounded than the other sections of the wings. The butterfly does not have any antennae or legs.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information