+ Reply to Thread

Thread: help request, page displays on large font machines

Newbie trojan99 is on a distinguished road

help request, page displays on large font machines

i wanted to show my father a page idea, and as i was typing the addy in his browser, it occured to me he has extra large fonts enabled in his display settings

when i pulled up my page for him, i also realized, i have never ever thought about how other ppl with the same settings were viewing my site. it looked retarded. layers were overlapped, the background image ended abruptly and the text layer continued on without a background. there were no browser check errors in dreamweaver and the only other code problems were some IE3.0 issues that i was ignoring. this was an IE6.0 machine with sp2 installed.

so my question is how do i make sure my pages display properly in machines with similar display properties? this may be fairly simple, but please give me a hint. im self taught with dreamweaver and as such, i am sure i am missing something easy here.

Active Member WorldBuilder is on a distinguished road
    To the best of my knowledge, there's probably little you can do. When designing websites, the best thing you can do is ensure cross browser compatibility and as much compatibility as possible with slightly older generation browsers. In addition, test on different screen sizes and different resolutions.

When it comes to people who use larger fonts (mainly those with vision trouble), the INHERINT problem is what you describe. There's really nothing you can do that I know of. These people are the exception, not the rule, and it's an unfortunate side effect of the condition.

The bottom line is that it's impossible to please everyone, and those few with settings such as your father's are essentially impossible to cater to.

I hope I'm wrong and that someone else knows an answer to your quandry.

Chris
    My Site | My Blog
    "The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results"
    --Albert Einstein

Newbie trojan99 is on a distinguished road
    thanks for ur time worldbuilder. it is indeed, unfortunate that there is no workaround for this. what i did was to exaggerate the size of my layers so the text didnt reformat too badly. by giving it more room to expand, i have effectively removed the situation where it could overlap.

its a bad solution bcz now the site looks awful both ways, but at least its readable. i was reading in some british web designers mag about how sites will need to be 100% usable for those who are visually impaired in the near future. i can only assume that the use of large font displays can be included in that label. if so, im sure someone will come up with a solution soon! [i hope]

edit: it just occured to me that in my history of asking for help, i never ask the easy ones, like how to add a favicon or something similar. it's just my dumb luck to continually come across the obscure, intangible, and unsolvable. lol is me
    Last edited by trojan99; February 1st, 2005 at 10:51 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information