the bobby test is killing me on my nav menu. test is found here

this is an excerpt from the help page that failed my site:

Code:
Separate adjacent links with more than whitespace.

Place some sort of separating character between adjacent links. Images or bulleted or numberd lists are good choices. You can also use explicit separator characters such as "|" or enclose the links in brackets []. "Whitespace characters", such as spaces, line l. breaks, carriage returns, and paragraph breaks, are not sufficient. For example: 
  [<A HREF="jim.html">Jim's Home Page</A>] [<A HREF="alice.html">Alice's Home Page</A>]or: 
  <OL type="1" compact>
	<LI><A HREF="jim.html">Jim's Home Page</A></LI>
	<LI><A HREF="alice.html">Alice's Home Page</A></LI>
  </OL> instead of: 
  <A HREF="jim.html">Jim's Home Page</A> <BR>
  <A HREF="alice.html">Alice's Home Page</A> or 
  <A HREF="jim.html">Jim's Home Page</A>
  <A HREF="alice.html">Alice's Home Page</A> which would render, without the link-distinguishing information common to GUI browsers, as:

Jim's Home Page Alice's Home Page
well, my footer links i was able to add brackets to and get them to pass, but my left nav menu is defined as follows in css:

Code:
#left-menu {
position: absolute;
top: 122px;
left: 0;
width: 160px;
border-right: 2px #bbbad9 solid;
border-bottom: 2px #bbbad9 solid;
background-color: #292929;
height: 60%;
padding-top: 50px;
padding-bottom: 200px;
font-size: .8em;
}
#left-menu a:link, #left-menu a:visited {
border-top: 2px #bbbad9 solid;
display: block;
color: #ffffff;
text-align: center;
padding-right: 7px;
padding-bottom: 8px;
padding-top: 8px;
}
#left-menu a:hover, #left-menu a.current {
color: #dddddd;
background-repeat: repeat-x;
background-position: top;
text-decoration: none;
}
and the following html is on the pages:
Code:
<div id="left-menu">
 <a href="index1.html" onclick="_self" onkeypress="_self" class="current" title="Back To Home Page">Home</a> 
 <a href="indexinv.html" onclick="_self" onkeypress="_self" title="Our Inventory">Inventory</a>
 <a href="indexbuy.html" onclick="_self" onkeypress="_self" title="Purchasing Agents">Buying Material?</a>
 <a href="indexsell.html" onclick="_self" onkeypress="_self" title="Surveyors, Salvage, Warehouse Reclimation">Selling Material?</a>
 <a href="indexcon.html" onclick="_self" onkeypress="_self" title="Contact Page">Contact Us! </a>
 <a href="indexlin.html" onclick="_self" onkeypress="_self" title="Helpful Related Links">Links</a>
 <a href="indexfaq.html" onclick="_self" onkeypress="_self" title="Frequently Asked Questions">F.A.Q.'s</a>
 <a href="indexab.html" onclick="_self" onkeypress="_self" title="About Site">About Site</a>
</div>
if i list the menu, then it adds 1., 2., ect.. to my nav menu which looks like crap. i can align the menu to the left and increase its width a touch, but the end result is having a numbered menu which i hate a LOT!!!
if i add brackets outside the <a> tags, the brackets appear below the menu title and stretch the entire nav container, also resulting in crap.

can anyone help me fix this so i can certify my site passes priority 1,2, & 3, thus obtaining the AAA rating? its the only sticking point left. i wouldnt mind the brackets so much if i could get them to enclose the menu title instead of appearing below them like this:
home
][
about
][
e3ct...