+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1and1.com 's new promotion?

Newbie Mutation is on a distinguished road

1and1.com 's new promotion?

3 years free?

How so? And if someone uses it to host their own website, how does it run? How much bandwidth? ETC.

Thanks.

Newbie heil is on a distinguished road
    It's not that 'new'.

They give you 5gb's of bandwidth and if over $.99/gb. (don't know how they will charge you as they do not ask for cc)

I'm not sure about how much space they provide. They do say this though "Generous Web space allowances matching or topping most rivals"

One of my sites it on their servers, it runs quite decent. Can't complain about free hosting :]

Web Junky Matt is on a distinguished road
    The fact that they are giving a $25 Google Adwods voucher sure sounds attractive, who knows, maybe I will give them a try someday (6 or so days left until the end of that 3 year promotion).
    WebmasterLingo.com Team
    Forum Rules

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new" - Albert Einstein

Watch the misconception that Free = support.

I've heard a lot of complants about people signing up for 1and1 and complaining about support.

Now I myself have not signed up for their service but it is certainly an intriguing concept.
    TWA Studios, Inc.
    TWAStudios.com
    Website Templates | Development | Web Hosting | Game Servers

FutureTemplates.com 10% discount on all template monster templates

Originally posted by twastudios
    Watch the misconception that Free = support.

I've heard a lot of complants about people signing up for 1and1 and complaining about support.

Now I myself have not signed up for their service but it is certainly an intriguing concept.
    Good point, I think it may be ok for you to signup with them if you know what you are doing, if you have some questions, it will take days for the to respond, I'm sure most of you know that they are a very large company that dominates the European market, they just entered the US market not too long ago, so my guess is they are still building up their support crew.
    WebmasterLingo.com Team
    Forum Rules

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new" - Albert Einstein

Originally posted by Matt
    Good point, I think it may be ok for you to signup with them if you know what you are doing, if you have some questions, it will take days for the to respond, I'm sure most of you know that they are a very large company that dominates the European market, they just entered the US market not too long ago, so my guess is they are still building up their support crew.
    Well put. If you search on WHT, or some of the other forums you can read about some of the other issues users who 'think' they are getting supported are not.

But hey, it's free, so as long as you're not locked into a contract I say go for it.
    TWA Studios, Inc.
    TWAStudios.com
    Website Templates | Development | Web Hosting | Game Servers

FutureTemplates.com 10% discount on all template monster templates

Full Member Peter is on a distinguished road
    There was a big discussion on WHT about the gamble they are taking. Their plan relies on the fact that in three years all these people will pay for hosting and they will rake in the cash but while offering this it must be costing them a heck of a lot of money. In my eyes I doubt whether they will be successful in this campaign for new customers.

Originally posted by Peter
    There was a big discussion on WHT about the gamble they are taking. Their plan relies on the fact that in three years all these people will pay for hosting and they will rake in the cash but while offering this it must be costing them a heck of a lot of money. In my eyes I doubt whether they will be successful in this campaign for new customers.
    Agreed, with the support they provide now, I doubt 1 of all of those customers that signed up will stay..
    WebmasterLingo.com Team
    Forum Rules

Newbie heil is on a distinguished road
    I would stay as a customer, if I didn't run my own webhosting business :]

Moderator airnine is on a distinguished road
    I was inquiring with them about the services they offer.

To speak frankly I do not think they are that good, nor would their free services last for three years, that's some long period and a lot of money (services they offer now maybe a top notch, but in a year those packages might become obsolete, so you will upgrade and they will charge you, so no more free time).

Additionally, if there is no contracting, what's stopping them from charging you in a year's time.

As for their size in Europe. Does anybody know about their size in the physical world? Are they really that big and solid, have you ever heard about them in an Internet magazine?

I mean, it's easy to say, you don't know us, because we are that big that in the past years we were only available for $100M+ companies, but does it necessary have to be true?

So one asks one-self, am I to put my clients, their businesses and other things in uncertanty

Anyway, I hope that 1and1 gets their wings up in the air and all new customers find happiness in supremely good offer,

I on the other hand shell retain my skepticism,

Good luck to all,

Airnine

Active Member WorldBuilder is on a distinguished road
    Sounds interesting. What do they offer for CGI, php, and database support? Anything? What's the URL?

Chris
    My Site | My Blog
    "The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results"
    --Albert Einstein

Originally posted by WorldBuilder
    Sounds interesting. What do they offer for CGI, php, and database support? Anything? What's the URL?

Chris
    1and1.com
    WebmasterLingo.com Team
    Forum Rules

Newbie msstyle is on a distinguished road
    I have some websites hosted by 1&1 an I'm very satisfied with them.

So I would get that offer in every case if they would also offer it in Germany

Full Member Syn is on a distinguished road
    Well, as a business student, it's great on the marketing end, but I really think it'll come back to bite them in the ass when they're doing their financials.
    Personal
    -- Avalonstar: The Moon of Syn

Professional
    Avalonstar-Intivex, [Coming Soon] | Starvex

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information