+ Reply to Thread

Thread: vertical hard drive storage technology

Full Member wiseguy316 is on a distinguished road

vertical hard drive storage technology

As some of you may have heard, Hitachi has developed a method to store data vertically on hard drives rather than horizontally, meaning a much more efficient use of space, allowing for up to 10x capacity. It's expected that soon they will be making a standard 3.5" 7200 RPM drive with a 500 GB capacity. This technology could be applied in the next year or two to create 50+ GB microdrives, and standard 3.5" hard drives in excess of 1 TB (1000 GB - ok, technically 1024 GB).

This is cool stuff, but what I found the best part of this is that Hitachi is apparently so excited about their discovery, they broke into song. Literally! This is hilarious and... unexpected.

http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/resear...Animation.html

Active Member WorldBuilder is on a distinguished road
    I heard about the technology a while ago, but not the dance. LOL, cool stuff!

Chris
    My Site | My Blog
    "The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results"
    --Albert Einstein

Active Member bluzman32 is on a distinguished road
    Yah I saw the song a few days ago, pretty funny. When do you think this technology will reach us endusers?

Going with the projection and personal random estimation, I'm gonna say around the first of the year 2006. (It won't reach me for a long time after that, though, since I'm broke and am always the last to get something. My personal estimation of it reaching me is somewhere around 2009 or 2010.)

Active Member WorldBuilder is on a distinguished road
    It'll be out by year's end, they say.

Chris
    My Site | My Blog
    "The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results"
    --Albert Einstein

Active Member bluzman32 is on a distinguished road
    The vertical technology should drive the prices for the current standards down some, so it'll be good for all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by bluzman32
    The vertical technology should drive the prices for the current standards down some, so it'll be good for all of us.
    Yep, sounds good to me.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information