+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I need help starting a hosting business

Full Member Reaction is on a distinguished road

I need help starting a hosting business

I want to start a webhosting business. I plan on hosting ASP, CFM, MSSQL and Access on a Windows 2000 Server.
    Can anyone please tell me what i need in order to this? This may include software, other hosting features, connection plans or anything else i might need to be a full-featured host?

Thanks in advance
    Reaction Designs
    Quick, Easy and Affordable Design

well i live in New Zealand and over here there is a need in the market for a windows host. There arent many of them and the ones that are here are far too expensive.

I have plans to setup a cheaper host for New Zealand and Australia. Last month over 2000 people requested for a windows host in the Netguide Magazine (its a new zealand magazine), thats when it struck me that i have to setup a windows host over here. I can offer it for $10/month for a basic plan.

$10NZ is about $4US.

Thanks for your suggestion though, i would setup a linux host but there is already quite a few, and they have built up quite a reputation as well.

Full Member Peter is on a distinguished road
    Well you got to remember all the things you'll need:
    + A good professional looking web-site
    + Different forms of support phone, email, forums, live support, help desk?
    + A server, are you hosting from home (bad idea unless you got a reliable and very fast line)? Other alternatives are a reseller plan (although by the sound of it there aren't many to chose from. So that gives you the other options of a dedicated server or collocating your own server (don't know any data-centres in New Zealand but I'm sure there are some).
    + You'll also need to offer your clients a control panel. I don't know of many Windows based Control Panel's but you could look into Helm.
    + You need to think how much money you have got to pay for all this too. How many customers do you need to break even? Obviously depends on your server choice.
    + How you planning on getting customers, what advertising will you use. This again depends a lot on money, if you could afford it maybe advertise in that magazine?
    + Maybe not too important for a small host but you will have to consider some kind of staff. Includes sales and support.
    + Have you got enough time? When I was running my host from start in was a full time business (got about 4 hours sleep a day). Now you can get full host automation scripts which will manage the billing and account creation but of course still leaves you with sales and support.

Just a few things to consider. Anyone, if I missed anything tell me

Thanks peter for your list of requirements. I will have to sit down and do a good few weeks of planning. As far as money goes thats not a problem, i already have everything apart from a internet connection (which is about $500 a month).
    I am going to see what dedicated server plans there are, and if there isnt any good ones ill have to host my own server, thats not a problem though because i have a very close friend who used to be a windows server administrator (he's currently looking for a job).

Thanks again
    Reaction Designs
    Quick, Easy and Affordable Design

Full Member VorHost is on a distinguished road
    If you are just starting out you should not need a dedicated server. You could purchase a reseller account for $25-$50 a month. A lot less hassle and expense than running a dedicated server. Not sure off hand the names of any windows resellers but I know there are several good ones.
    "Targeted Website Traffic"
    Smass ::AIM
    jhncastaway

Active Member WorldBuilder is on a distinguished road
    More importantly than all of that, I think, is the business aspect. You need a definitive business plan, including projected income generation, and all sorts of monetary figures. After all, this is a business.

You'll also need capital, employees (I doubt you could do it all yourself), and resources.

You need to consider all that before worrying about the tech part. Business first, friend.

HTH,

Chris
    My Site | My Blog
    "The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results"
    --Albert Einstein

thanks very much,
    as for the business plan i have it all setup, i have 2 employees who are willing to help for now (if i need more i will hire more).

I will definately get a reseller account for now. Dedicated is too far out of my budget and i can not afford it nor can i support it.

thanks again

Active Member WorldBuilder is on a distinguished road
    Anytime
    My Site | My Blog
    "The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results"
    --Albert Einstein

Full Member TLDTrader.com is on a distinguished road
    I suggest get a reseller account first. Nice way to get yourself familiarized with the business without the high cost.

When you feel you already have the necessary "tools" to take the next step, move on to a dedicated server.

Good Luck

Full Member HostBlimp.com is on a distinguished road
    As previous posters said, you should really use Linux... You should also start out with a cheap, but reliable reseller hosting plan for about $20/month. If you do alot of work and know alot of people, then you can upgrade to a dedicated server in no time at all.
    Affordable
    Reliable
    Website Hosting
    HostBlimp

Newbie sherifhamdy is on a distinguished road

Arrow FREE Turnkey web hosting Business (Reseller Program)

FREE Turnkey web hosting Business (Reseller Program)

Get your own web hosting business same like mine, Full automated free website and you sell domains and web hosting, with domain from your choice, and set your own prices as well.

Just point your browser to my website and click on the (become a reseller for free)

and good luck!

Full Member inspiroHost is on a distinguished road
    Hi,

My question is why wouldn't you use Linux? To be competitive in the market, use this as most of the hosting companies are using it and majority of the customers demand for linux and PHP hosting.
    InspiroHost :: Business Hosting
    Servers in New York, Washington DC and London UK. Try our Blog Hosting.
    Cpanel, 24/7 end user support, 99.95% uptime guarantee.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information